lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
virgilward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Predator 420cc

Took factory air box off Predator 420cc ( hieght issue) installed K&N style . Engine doesn't want to idle have to run st half choke . Considering a Mikuni in hopes it may help any suggestions on what size to run on stock engine?
virgilward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 420cc

Try this.

https://vegascarts.com/collections/p...440-460-clones
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

IIRC the stock is a 24mm. You can jet that carb richer, get one that is off road and adjustable, get an adjustable jet for it, or yes a motorcycle or scooter carb will work better maybe a PZ type carb or mikuni clone. I have one on my cart its a 30mm but it has a cam in it too. It works way better IMO. I ran the stock carb for years jetted and it works, its just got flat spots and not as smooth as a better carb, its made for a lawnmower and governor. I used a torch tip cleaner to file the jet out larger until it ran ok, note it has to be warmed up when you test run, good jetting may be cold blooded a little. The problem with using a different carb is you have to make a new intake, unless you can use the one vegas sells and others sell. I made one then an intake from a sink brass drain tube and put the carb in front of the cylinder and above. Because on my cart the carb is way in back in the dirt and hard to get to, in a G9. Its working great with a CV carb though I had to mod it. I have a slide on it now but need to make an adapter to hook up the cable, but by hand it runs great. Its a pumper slide carb.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Virgilward, I would clean the carb Incase but these 420s run lean and once you do any upgrades, you need to up the jet size. You can open up the stock jet or take yours off and see what size it is and go up a few sizes. Lots of places sell larger jets

SHO, what exact carb are you using?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I had a CV scooter 32mm carb on it. Then I put a slider pumper 30mm on, I think its a keihin copy. Its a round slide, with a second cable on the side to run the pump, looks like a mikuni. It runs great out of the box even, but running it by hand. I have to make a bracket to connect the cables to pedal I don't want to chew up the stock bracket. I had to make another adapter for the carb also, this carb bolts on the CV was hose mount. I bought a hose mount and adapted the mount to the carb which had different bolt patterns. Attached to my long intake that goes around the cylinder to the back side and on to the head.

It think I bought it on ebay, because it came with the dual cable 2 to 1. It was 30 some dollars the CV was a pumper too but like 80 bucks. The CV runs great, it would not top out at all. I tied up around half the spring in the slide so it opened easier and it would wind up then. I still don't know if I am getting full power likely am but the slider there is no question and response is better. However for a stock clone I would put a CV on in a heartbeat as they don't rev that high. My cam will run way past 5K, though I don't really ride it that fast anyway I still want to know its working properly. I hit 5200 with the stock cam and other mods at 38mph gps, with the cheater cam I hit 42 mph. It already had a cut and ported head, 1.3 rockers, header, timing key, CV carb, etc. When I put the cam in I put a vegas rod, cut the piston shorter, and put roller 1.3 rockers in with HD pushrods. Both the CV and slider run a lot better far as smooth and no lean spots like the stock carb. They start great you just pump it for gas even in winter you don't need a choke, it does take a minute to warm up and run right. I might put the CV on the stock clone 420, if I have enough stuff to make another long intake.

This carb looks like a PZ30, but it has a cable on the side to run the pump at the bottom, also has a full choke with a cable mount on side. The cable is 2 in to 1, so one cable splits to run the slide and the pump at same time. I found this carb other places without the dual cable. It looks ok quality, the cable brackets are pretty cheezy and cheap metal but they work. You would have to come up with a cable to run the choke but with pump you don't really need it unless you run winter all the time. It starts in winter but takes some warm up time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
TheNEWguy92cc
Not Yet Wild

I see alot of people with this issue instead of using the factory fuel pump buy a cheap 12v pump and wire it into a switch works for me no issues the predator 420 dont have a vacuum line for the gravity pump to feed correctly
TheNEWguy92cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Dixon Walsh
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I had that same problem, seemed like it would starve for fuel and hardly any fuel in the fuel filter, so I bought a new pulse pump and had the same issue. So I installed an electric pump and have had no problems, and every time I check the battery voltage its at 12 volts. So the motor recharges the battery even with the electric fuel pump.
Dixon Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps