lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #101
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: My VC 460 Omega

That was Jody's point also.With their light weight and being aluminum there isn't need too use excessive torque and possibly warp the softer aluminum unit. Key material didn't arrive today so no more progress.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #102
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I decided to install the coil plate, flywheel ,and starter cup while waiting for the 1/4 key stock for the flywheel final torque and coil gap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0844.jpg (358.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0843.jpg (262.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #103
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The awaited 1/4" key stock arrived today. Of course for whatever reason it was a little oversized in both directions. Ground it down so it was a nice fit and cut off the inch or so of sized key. Used the ill fated iron S/G pulley wired to a bolt in the block. The desired click click of the torque wench @ 65 ft/lbs was done 3 times and so my Omega short block is finally finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0845.jpg (376.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0846.jpg (345.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #104
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Have you decided what type head your going to use?

https://www.vpowerequipment.com/pred...hoCTrkQAvD_BwE
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #105
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Yes The .075 milled and ported wedge head from the presently being used on the long rod engine. I will further unshroud the valves 1/8 right out from the seat as described by Paul from Paulscarts , port out the valve guide pyramids as described by Jody Powell from ARC and last but not least install NR's 6500 rpm valve kit. There is so very little material above the ring package with the VC flat top I am not sure the clearance required for the hemi would be there. The other end of that is I have the shaft roller rockers, push rods , the Aussie speed valve cover as well as the above mention valve kit all for the wedge. Changing head types now would really UP the budget. As well as don't have you machining talent
Old 10-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #106
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Certainly used up some stored parts. BUT what is left around ? Option 1 The parts to refresh the current VC gen 3 long rod including the ARP rod bolts for the VC produced billet rod.This would include rod bearing and rings and new 69mm crank if needed. Option 2 The ARC billet rod and the dished 92 mm piston to build a VC gen 2 engine. Again with new rod bearings, rings and 69mm crank if needed. Option 3 Omega 2 This would use Probe 92.25 mm forged piston and ARC billet rod with a 69mm crankshaft. TOO many choices ?
Old 10-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #107
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

With the great news from Geoff at VC that some time in the future the VC billet rod will be produced along with the milled flat top piston so you can build yourself a gen 3 VC unit. The flat top piston is still available from both VC and NRracing. I bought a new one for my Omega 1 build. The 69mm crank is still also available at NR. The billet VC rod is nowhere to be found at present.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #108
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I decided today to figure out what was stock clone on the Omega engine. There is a stock clone 64 mm crankshaft and main bearings along with the same situation on the balance shaft. BUT both of those have been shimmed to precise end play. The valve lifters , ignition coil and outer tins. That is about it. Everything else is either racing parts or very heavily modified stock parts such as the carb and cylinder head. This all got in my head if should I have started with a standard clone and outfitted it. Even though by buying everything from here and there and building an engine from scratch the cost is certainly higher it was the only way to end up with the end product I wanted. Even then some of the stock parts will come off my existing long rod engine. Speed and certainly high rpms cost money. High high do you want to rev ?
Old 10-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #109
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Shepard's gifted timing tapes arrived today. After some real thinking it looks like I am at the 32 degrees BTDC. Now the question is whether with the .075 milled head and the zero deck height and shorter 64 mm stroke is that where I should be set ? I seen #'s recommended from 30-34 maybe 32 will be too much ?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #110
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The funny part of this timing thing is I have no idea on my present VC 460 where the timing is. The gen 1 460 that is the basis of my present long rod engine was purchased from someone else who had VC assemble it in may of 2014. There was no indication on the paper work which timing key was installed. Jump forward to 2016 when I converted the rod/piston combo to the long rod. I didn't to pull the flywheel since the engine ran great. Even more so I have never checked the coil gap again since every thing was good. It will be interesting when pull the starter cover off the long rod to go on Omega to see what things are set at. I also see all different #'s on coil gap settings. Maybe I should stud the pull starter cover so if I have to change timing and or coil gap a few times I don't wear the threads out on that side of the block. My ramblings here just gave me an idea to check out P.S. Just ordered 20 M6 X 30 304 stainless studs and 20 304 stainless nylock nuts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps