lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
poglesby
Not Yet Wild

Default Fuse was blowing now brake lights won't work

New to the forum and somewhat new to Golf carts.
Brief History of how I discovered the issue:
Golf cart ~2008 Precedent
The other day the 20amp Fuse would blow when I turned on the blinker or randomly. After taking almost everything apart I discovered there was a bare wire in the turn signal assembly that was shorting out (highlighted in picture, my son was playing with the blinker for about an hour why I did yardwork) I believe this went to the horn button which was broken off when I bought the golf cart so I cut these wires off and taped and put the assembly back together.
This seemed to fix the issue and the fuse stopped blowing, head lights worked, blinker worked.
After I put everything back together the brake lights stopped working. They would still come on when I turned the lights on and flash with a turn signal. The left one stopped completely working for everything but when I plugged the right light in to the left harness it worked so I ordered a new set of brake lights since I figured the left light was completely shot (it wouldn't work when I plugged in to right harness either).
But actually pressing the brake would not make either light work. I have tried everything. They did work prior to the fuse blowing issue. Is there a way to bypass the timer and brake switch to help narrow down the issue? Any other tips? Could the 'brake light' function be broken on both lights? The new lights will be in tomorrow but wanted to see if there was something else I could try.

I have attached pictures of everything disassembled.
I'm really trying to get everything fixed by Halloween for the kids!!
Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8349.jpg (114.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8352.jpg (192.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8353.jpg (198.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8354.jpg (194.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8355.jpg (195.1 KB, 0 views)
poglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Wepiii
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Fuse was blowing now brake lights won't work

This exact same thing happened to me and unfortunately I ended up replacing way too many parts before figuring it out. I had the exact same symptoms, except both my lights worked, but I assume that will be where you are when your new lights come in. I had to replace the blinker relay and everything started working again. I started with the brake parts of the kit, but that didn’t do anything. If your back lights come on when your head lights are on, and stay on for the 5 minute timer after the headlights are off, but just don’t get any brighter at night or come on at all when the breaks are hit without headlights on, I would suggest replacing your blinker relay. I’ll post a link to the part I’m talking about in case it isn’t called blinker relay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wepiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Wepiii
Not Yet Wild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wepiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
poglesby
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE:
So I noticed these two wires to were unplugged when I took the dash off and remember thinking it was odd and didn't need to be plugged in to anything, turns out they need to go in to the relay. They must have come loose when I took the dash off, either way, problem solved!

Now to just make this thing faster...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8356.jpg (210.5 KB, 0 views)
poglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes that brake relay sends +12v to the pedal wires only when the key switch is turned ON.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
namyot11
Getting Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes that brake relay sends +12v to the pedal wires only when the key switch is turned ON.
Is there a way to test that relay? Everything else on my 2007 Precedent street legal light kit works except the brake light. Can that relay be purchased at an auto parts store?
namyot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car