lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Kids keep bumping Forward Reverse switch while driving

My son, for the second time now, has accidentally kicked the F/R switch and switched our 2010 IQ Precedent into either “neutral” or reverse while we were driving forward. He’s 3. I’m sure this is terrible for the motor, and it’s also a safety issue. The cart comes to an immediate halt when this happens, throwing any small or unsuspecting passenger off the seat and into the foot well.

What are my options? If they sold a cover, that’s solve my problem. I couldn’t find one by searching. Are there switches with the same mounting footprint that are less prone to accidental activation? I’ll move the switch as a last resort, but not really looking forward to that.
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Kids keep bumping Forward Reverse switch while driving

What kind of cart? What year? What drive system, Series or Sepex?

On a sepex cart with the small rocker switch it doesn’t hurt anything, and the controller will not allow the motor to go reverse if the switch is changed while the cart is rolling and your foot is on the pedal.

On a series cart you may have an issue with arcing at the switch, but it should disengage the solenoid which shuts off power to the motor if the shifter gets moved to neutral. The solenoid may arc internally and damage the contacts in the solenoid eventually if it happens over and over again, but happening once or twice will not damage anything.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
What kind of cart? What year? What drive system, Series or Sepex?

On a sepex cart with the small rocker switch it doesn’t hurt anything, and the controller will not allow the motor to go reverse if the switch is changed while the cart is rolling and your foot is on the pedal.

On a series cart you may have an issue with arcing at the switch, but it should disengage the solenoid which shuts off power to the motor if the shifter gets moved to neutral. The solenoid may arc internally and damage the contacts in the solenoid eventually if it happens over and over again, but happening once or twice will not damage anything.
Sorry I meant to include that. 2010 Precedent IQ
Old 10-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

this came up in another thread a while back , i believe the "fix" was just to mount the switch upside down....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
this came up in another thread a while back , i believe the "fix" was just to mount the switch upside down....
Interesting thanks. Happen to have a link?
Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
1sharphook

6th post down reflects one of the hits using the site search function.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/sear...earchid=264614
Old 10-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
6th post down reflects one of the hits using the site search function.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/sear...earchid=264614
Thank you! Looks like it may be a bear to get out.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

No, no. It is super easy. Two (2) T-20 torx screws and rotate it 180 degress and reinstall the 2 screws. Voila'
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No harm at all to the cart. The controller will go into dynamic braking if the FnR switch is changed while moving. This triggers the roll away brake feature which will use the motor to bring the cart to a stop. It may seem sudden, but it is designed to do that, and it doesn’t hurt anything.

Mounting the switch upside down is a good idea. I would also try a towel or maybe a piece of cardboard stuck under the front edge of the seat. Something that will hang down just far enough to cover the switch, but still allow you to get to it when you need to change directions.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #10
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
No, no. It is super easy. Two (2) T-20 torx screws and rotate it 180 degress and reinstall the 2 screws. Voila'
Drinking from the fire hydrant that is BGW over the past two months has taught me that nothing is ever as easy as people say it will be. There is an anti-rotation tab on the switch that corresponds to a matching hole in the battery compartment (see photo). I will get the Dremel out in the morning and make the proper cut, and then seal the old hole properly.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car