lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #1
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2006 CC Precedent Brakes Locking/Dragging

Hi Gang,

I just picked up a 2006 CC modified by ACG to look like a H3 Hummer. The differential was recently serviced by a local golf cart sales/service company.

On my first real test drive some unusual things happened. While driving about 15 mph the cart suddenly stopped. I’m assuming the brakes (I’m thinking the right side (rear obviously)) locked up and stopped the cart suddenly. I do not remember if I was accelerating or coasting. I do know that I WAS NOT pressing on the brake at the time. After I came to a stop I was unable to go forward via the accelerator and unable to push the cart forward. In desperation I put it in reverse, it moved with some grinding/rubbing sound, similar to brakes badly dragging. I then put it in forward and it moved with a little grinding/rubbing sound but was able to get to speed. The sound eventually went away.

As I continued to drive The sound would reappear sometimes when in reverse, sometimes when in forward. When the sound reappeared going forward I would drive a little in reverse, stop then go forward and the sound would go away. When I heard the sound in reverse (again it reminded me of dragging brakes), I would switch direction to forward and NOT hear the noise.

When I got it home I visually checked under the cart. The differential/motor looked clean as did the brake area. However, under close inspection I did notice a missing bolt that attaches the wheel to the axle. In the below diagram it is the bolt labeled #11 but bottom towards the back. Also see the photo below to see the missing bolt. The third photo is of the top of the right rear wheel. I visually checked the U bolts, they looked ok, however I did NOT take a wrench to them to see how tight they were. The cart is slightly lifted but that was done by ACG who modified the cart in 2006.

I plan on removing the right rear wheel and hope to find a brake shoe problem, but I was curious what the brain trust here thought.

Thanks for your help
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 CC Precedent Brakes Locking/Dragging

when it suddenly stopped, was it still putting power down? Welcome to the club.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

No. It was not, and thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Others with significantly more experience will chime in here, but I don't think the missing bolt is that significant, since it only holds the backing plate to the axle housing, and the three others are still there. With that being said though, if the backing plate is flimsy, perhaps the slight flex could shift the position of the shoes? If the brakes on the cart are like car brakes, they adjust themselves in reverse (2/3/4 in your diagram is the adjuster), so that could explain why going in reverse affects it, but usually the brakes can only tighten and not loosen. Without pulling the wheel and drum off, and getting a real look inside, it's all speculation. If the cart is locked up when you try to take the drum off, it'll be hard to do, and you may need a puller. Try to get in there and see what you have first, and consider bringing the cart back to the place you got it to fix the obviously sloppy work. I'm curious why they took that bolt out in the first place.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

My WAG is the nut came off and jammed up the works in the brake drum.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I agree with mrgolf.
Reddawg454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the input guys. The wheel currently is not locked up and can be spun. I’m going to Take the wheel off tonight hopefully
Old 08-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well the previous wrench must have been a gorilla. The lug nuts were on so tight I broke two socket wrench extensions trying to get them off. (Yes the extensions were cheap Chinese products.)

The rims are special alloy ones for the Hummer body kit so I couldn’t fit a standard tire jack on them. I was able to get one nut off, one was missing, so only 2 left out of the 4. The lug nut is 3/4”.

Unfortunately I am at our second house, all my good tools are at home so if I have time tomorrow I’ll see what I can get at auto zone.

Frustrating.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sorry, but I have to chime in. If I were you I'd take that cart back where I bought it and demand it be fixed. The two missing bolts you have found are an example of shoddy work, not to mention the problem with the brakes which is a serious safety concern.
In addition to what the others have told you there may be something else to consider. From what I've read it sounds like the axle tubing is probably not aligned properly and/or the u-bolts are not tightened properly, if much at all, and causing the axle to move, even twist, which puts tension on the brake cable causing the cart to stop while in motion. The brake cable probably needed to be replaced with a longer one because of the lift kit or at least checked that it was routed and working properly.
Search this forum and you'll find posts about this very issue. Arm yourself with this knowledge so you can stand your ground when you return the cart to the shadetree mechanic. Tell him you would like the cart you paid for and not a pig wearing lipstick.
My 2cents.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:00 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

^^^^^

x2
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car