lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #1
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Default 2011 RXV Jumps then nothing???

A rat got into my 2011 RXV and chewed up a few wires several weeks back at our hunting camp. I crimp everything back together and cart has been running as normal until this weekend. Now when I turn the cart on (any position) it clicks as normal then jumps in reverse a few inches and then stops and won't move. Doesn't matter if R/N/F it does the same thing. Go pedal doesn't work. Brakes do hold. I can turn key off and put in tow, turn back on to N and cart will move freely until brake pedal is pressed, then it locks up as normal.

I ran through every wire under the dash and around controller and checked my crimps and all looks good.

A little searching around has me thinking the brake needs replacing. Maybe a throttle/pedal sensor? Hard topic to search.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations on this? THANKS!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
grassflatsfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 RXV Jumps then nothing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassflatsfisher View Post
A rat got into my 2011 RXV and chewed up a few wires several weeks back at our hunting camp. I crimp everything back together and cart has been running as normal until this weekend. Now when I turn the cart on (any position) it clicks as normal then jumps in reverse a few inches and then stops and won't move. Doesn't matter if R/N/F it does the same thing. Go pedal doesn't work. Brakes do hold. I can turn key off and put in tow, turn back on to N and cart will move freely until brake pedal is pressed, then it locks up as normal.

I ran through every wire under the dash and around controller and checked my crimps and all looks good.

A little searching around has me thinking the brake needs replacing. Maybe a throttle/pedal sensor? Hard topic to search.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations on this? THANKS!
Unplug the harness from the motor brake, then use a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) on the low ohms scale to measure the resistance of the motor brake coil on the 2 pins in the socket. Spec is 25.5 ohms. Above 30 ohms and below 20 ohms are far enough outside of the range to fail powerup testing. The cart jerking at powerup is also indicating a motor brake failure. It could be the motor brake, or the controller failed.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #3
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Unplug the harness from the motor brake, then use a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) on the low ohms scale to measure the resistance of the motor brake coil on the 2 pins in the socket. Spec is 25.5 ohms. Above 30 ohms and below 20 ohms are far enough outside of the range to fail powerup testing. The cart jerking at powerup is also indicating a motor brake failure. It could be the motor brake, or the controller failed.
Just checked the brake. Came in at 24.3ohms.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just checked the brake. Came in at 24.3ohms.
Ok, that would pass the powerup test. So it looks like the Motor Brake Driver FET is staying turned on instead of switching on/off in response to the controller. I have replaced those FETs on the Curtis controllers. With a 2011, it came with a Danaher controller. Unless it's already been upgraded to the Curtis, it may be time...

The Danaher controller cannot operate a HD Motor Brake because they draw too much current and will start acting flaky as the FET overheats, then they short out. If you or someone else has changed it out for an HD Motor Brake, that could have been the start of this problem...

Bob
Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Hmm. I did put a new brake in it last year but I don't think it was an HD brake.

I'm still wondering how it was fine when I parked it last Saturday with a full charge and this Saturday it does this when I go to use it.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hmm. I did put a new brake in it last year but I don't think it was an HD brake.

I'm still wondering how it was fine when I parked it last Saturday with a full charge and this Saturday it does this when I go to use it.
Where are you located? It sounds like we need to get you in touch with someone that has an RXV handset that is compatible with your cart so diagnostic codes can be extracted and analyzed...

The controller should be able to tell us the sequence of events that led up to this issue.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Where are you located? It sounds like we need to get you in touch with someone that has an RXV handset that is compatible with your cart so diagnostic codes can be extracted and analyzed...

The controller should be able to tell us the sequence of events that led up to this issue.
I'm in Pensacola.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

By the way, what does FET stand for?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Field effect transistor , it's basically a electronic switch with no moving parts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
grassflatsfisher
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Field effect transistor , it's basically a electronic switch with no moving parts.
Is this internal on the controller or part of the brake system?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO