lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #31
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: North Carolina Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTKelly View Post
Actually the state law covers this, and allows the municipalities to do their own thing.

Yes, they can ban them entirely. Ban them from specific roads, etc. etc.

They cannot however require any extra fees or stickers over and above the typical annual inspection just like any other licensed vehicle.

At the beach town I am in you can have a non legal cart if you have a handicap placard, while the next town over requires only that the cart have the required equipment (no one is checking though).

Honestly, the local police don't bother anyone with a cart, as long as they are not on the higher speed limit areas or driving on the sidewalks or shoulders.
Ah there you go, you can disregard everything I said LOL! That's the power I was talking about in my post granted by the state. Seems as you're saying NC state law has granted the municipalities power on this. I am not familiar with NC state law mine was more general info.

I find it very interesting that LSVs would be legal at the state level but ban them locally at a municipal level. I would assume that would only apply to city or municipal roads and not state roads that go through that municipality assuming those roads are at a speed limit that an LSV can drive on per NC state law. Again, I am not in NC.

I also find it interesting that LSVs would be legal at state level but banned at municipal or individual county level as that places quite a burden on someone traveling with an LSV they have to determine if they can use their LSV wherever they travel with it. Sort of annoying.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #32
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
So what you are saying is NC allows for LSV. The best thing to do in my opinion is to get your cart registered as an LSV. Get your tag, insurance, etc and then follow state law. Carry a copy of NC statute with you and show the police if they give any issue. You must make sure you follow state LSV law as far as what roads you can drive on MPH wise and what road you can cross but not drive on MPH wise. As far as the two carts since you cannot get the MCO for the humdinger because they are out of business either cart would be about the same effort to license. However, if NC is like FL we need to show a bill of sale to register our carts and if the street legal items are not listed on the bill of sale you need to produce receipts for each item and pay tax on them. Of course like everything, there are ways to beat this but this might not be relevant in NC.

Just an additional bit of insight regarding your state law question(**This is not legal advice**) Remember a state constitution is the highest legal authority in a state. The state enacts statutes based on your state constitution and that applies to all NC citizens. Then individual counties and municipalities enact laws which are usually ordinances but this ordinance power is given to them via a grant by your state constitution. Those ordinances or local laws apply to everyone in that municipality or county and not outside of that. Whatever ordinance or local law that is passed cannot be broader than whatever is granted to them by state constitution. Now one caveat is that a local law can be more strict than a state law but not less strict. So in your case with LSV laws technically they most likely could not ban them just in your city or municipality, etc. but they could make a more strict law. A very common example of a more strict requirement is LSVs being legal in a state but your local county or municipality requires LSV owners to not only license their cart per state laws but also pay an additional fee and obtain a sticker once a year from your local city office. Sorry for the legal lesson I can’t help it because it's my line of work and I love practicing and teaching the law.
What do you practice/teach?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #33
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
What do you practice/teach?
PM sent.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #34
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
PM sent.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:14 AM   #35
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

Just like N.C. ! they even make Mopeds around here buy tags and carry insurance!
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!