lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
nmoye1
Not Yet Wild

Default club car engine upgrade

I am looking at installing a 18hp v-twin in my cart.I see kits for the vanguard,but what about honda or kawasaki?Not sure if I want to put in a vanguard. Buggies unlimited at one time had a installation kit for the honda engine but don't know if it is still available.I know people are still putting in honda's and kawasaki's but not sure where they are getting the kit.Are they all fabricating kits?I wouldn't think so,there are too many out there.Does anyone know the model number's of the vanguard,honda and kawasaki engines that are being used in these upgrades?I see a wide range in price and I want to get the best deal possible.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
nmoye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Default Re: club car engine upgrade

I have the 16 hp Kawasaki V-twin in my Club Car. I got it from Tom at Dixie Sales. He discontinued the kit because Kawasaki raised the price on the engine by a bunch. I love the motor and plan to go bigger next year. The install was pretty easy and I believe we used the motor mount that came with the cart.
Other folks here have done the Vanguard upgrade and are happy with it too.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
club car man
Ford

I've always heard good things about the Kawasaki, Honda, Vanguard etc. But I would NOT buy anything from BU. It either won't work or you may never get it. I would get it from Tom at http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ Also, I'm not sure if Ron sells big blocks or not, but if you're looking for anything else for the cart you can look here also. http://www.eastcoastcustomcartsinc.com/
club car man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
nmoye1
Not Yet Wild

AZBOO

Do you know what the model number for the kawasaki is?I would love to know so I can see if I can find one at a decent price.Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Actually when No No EzGo comes on here and see this he will be able to tell you. It's an awesome engine. And he always knows the numbers of these engines. It really was an easy install. And the stock CC clutch works very well with it too.

Boo
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

I found an old thread where NoNo says it's an FD 501 ??? At least that's what he typed for the 16 hp Kawi V-twin water cooled engine that I got. Hope that helps... or you could get in touch with Tom at Cart Parts Plus. He'd know for sure.

Boo
Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
nmoye1
Not Yet Wild

ok,did you have to use a kit for this engine or did all of the cables,ect. work from the fe290?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #8
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Pretty much everything worked except it came with a radiator and a different muffler. The motor mount that came with it we didn't need. Here's a couple of pics of the install. Click on them to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor second.jpg (38.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Motor third.jpg (37.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Tom no longer makes that engine kit. Trust me on this one, you are much better off spending the money on a kit than trying to save a few pennies and piece something together.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Vanguards by Briggs & Stratton (Mitsubishi engines) or the Kawasaki engines either. Hondas...hit or miss.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Thanks Aaron. Was hoping you'd jump in here soon.

Boo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car