lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New Batteries now over charging??

1999 DS 48V
New 8v Trojan 875 batteries 2 weeks ago
Stock Power Drive charger
The charger is charging to 63 volts and not shutting off with the new batteries. With old batteries it would shut off at 53/54 volts. I have been unplugging the charger by hand.
Is this a problem with charger, OBC, or because I have new batteries?
Reading from yesterday & today (Taken with Fluke DMM)
Before Starting Charge---Right after charge--- Today
#1 8.41 9.19 8.54
#2 8.40 9.14 8.53
#3 8.41 9.09 8.55
#4 8.40 9.09 8.52
#5 8.38 8.94 8.52
#6 8.39 8.96 8.54
Pack 50.5 55.3 51.2
56servi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New Batteries now over charging??

Yes, you are overcharging them with the powerdrive charger. The OBC is needed to both allow the charger to start and also to shut it off. I think your OBC may be defective. Maybe others will know more about this.

For now, unplug the charger when the charging amps get to 5 amps. You can get an inexpensive timer that will shut the timer off after several hours.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A smart charger would be an excellent investment to charger and protect your new Trojans. Lester Links and DPI Accusense are good choices.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56servi View Post
1999 DS 48V
New 8v Trojan 875 batteries 2 weeks ago
Stock Power Drive charger
The charger is charging to 63 volts and not shutting off with the new batteries. With old batteries it would shut off at 53/54 volts. I have been unplugging the charger by hand.
Is this a problem with charger, OBC, or because I have new batteries?
Reading from yesterday & today (Taken with Fluke DMM)
Before Starting Charge---Right after charge--- Today
#1 8.41 9.19 8.54
#2 8.40 9.14 8.53
#3 8.41 9.09 8.55
#4 8.40 9.09 8.52
#5 8.38 8.94 8.52
#6 8.39 8.96 8.54
Pack 50.5 55.3 51.2
It was probably only getting to 53v before because the batteries were toast.
The OBC needs to get to a minimum of 58v before it changes from the bulk charge phase to the absorption phase. During absorption phase the voltage can climb to around 65v. I've seen packs get as high as 68v when the OBC changes to the finish phase (final charge phase). Once it changes to the finish phase the voltage will be steady between 60-65v slowly decreasing for about an hour, and then the OBC should shut off.

How long have you let the charger run?
With a brand new pack it can take anywhere from just a few hours up to a full 16 hours for the initial charge to finish. The OBC should time out and shut off if it does reach the 16 hour mark.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We bought a house in Florida (Leesburg) for the winter. We just got here 3 weeks ago. I bought the cart from neighbor who was moving, knowing that the batteries were old and would need replacement. I was leaving charger for a few (about 4) hours and would shut it off when I saw the 63 volts.
How do I know when charger is in bulk charge mode.
I bought a Battery Minder 483CEC1, maintainer, trickle charger, desulfator: 48volt, 3 amp and was using it after unplugging charger, But it stayed on desulfated mode most of the time. I got it to keep up the batteries during summer when we go back to Michigan. I am hooking up the maintainer cables today. adding buss bars for all the extra cables that are on the battery terminals now.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just watch the amperage gauge on the charger. If it’s charging 63 volts, as FT said that’s completely normal and expected. But look at the amp gauge on the front of the charger. If it’s charging 63 volts it should be in the “absorption phase”. This will charge with a high voltage, but the amperage should be lower. If you’ve got 63 volts and it continues charging at max 20+ amps there may be a problem.

There’s 3 phases to a charging cycle as I’ve come to understand it (and I’m no expert so someone please correct me if I’m wrong).

Bulk charge - this is where a majority of the charging occurs. This is how the charger will charge the pack as much and quickly as possible to bring the state of charge, generally up to around 80-85% (depending on charger).

Absorption phase - since most of the charging has been completed, the charger will begin to ramp down the amperage and maintain a high voltage. This will complete the charge process to about 95%

Finishing phase - batteries are nearly completed charging. This final phase will complete the last bit to the 100% mark and float a higher voltage, low amperage charge to finish the charge and balance the batteries so they should all be very close to the same.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I was leaving charger for a few (about 4) hours and would shut it off when I saw the 63 volts.
That explains more! I thought the charger was not shutting off from your first post. You probably have nothing to worry about as others have said.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Bulk Charge mode you will see the ammeter at 15A or above. The time varies depending on depth of discharge of the the pack, but can be anywhere from 2 to 12 hours or possibly longer if the pack is deeply discharged. This accomplishes the majority of the charge cycle, but does not provide the deep charge needed for deep cycle batteries.

Absorption phase will usually be 8-10 amps and can last from 2-4 hours depending on pack condition and depth of discharge. This allows the batteries to come to about 95% the deep charge cycle and absorb the full charge. During this phase the amperage is reduced and the voltage will climb, usually anywhere from 60-65v, but that can vary based on pack condition and a few other factors, such as battery cell design.

Finish phase should be 5-6 amps and will usually last only about an hour, but can be longer depending on pack condition. This is the final phase of charging which helps to even out he voltage between cells by holding them at an elevated voltage for a certain time. This usually starts out at a higher voltage and tapers down toward the end of the cycle. So any cells that were slightly lower will come up in voltage to match the ones that are higher. This also finishes the charge cycle by allowing the pack to fully saturate.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
56servi
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Charger seems to be shutting off correctly. Drove about 5 miles this morning, came home & plugged charger in about 1:00. about 2:30 charger was at 5 amps, about 3:00 at 3 amps. Just looked & charger was off. Dont have pack voltages now because my meter is disconnected.
Tom47> I did say charger was not shutting off. My middle post was confusing. Think I am back on track now. Thanks for all the help
Old 12-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Charger seems to be shutting off correctly. Drove about 5 miles this morning, came home & plugged charger in about 1:00. about 2:30 charger was at 5 amps, about 3:00 at 3 amps. Just looked & charger was off. Dont have pack voltages now because my meter is disconnected.
Tom47> I did say charger was not shutting off. My middle post was confusing. Think I am back on track now. Thanks for all the help
This is usually an indicator the OBC is failing. It should not charge at less than 5 amps. Going lower than that at the end of the cycle usually means it is not working correctly.
That charge time seems pretty short to me, but that may depend on what kind of terrain you run on.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
chiefk
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have a similar problem. Installed new Sams Club batteries yesterday. Replaced all cables with 2 ga. and used the brass bolt method through the OBC. Put the charger on yesterday about 6PM and left it on. This morning the charger was still running at 5 amps and I could hear the batteries boiling. With the old Trojans the OBC would always shut off when charge was complete so OBC must be good. Voltage check after shutting off the charger is 8.7 on all batteries and 51.9 all together. Does the OBC need reprogramming or what?

2004 DS IQ, 48V
Powerdrive 2 charger
chiefk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car