lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #11
jlambert
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Replacing Batteries every couple of months

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlambert View Post
So what exactly does the OBC actually do and am I just bypassing where the charger connection goes.
Ok I found out what the OBC is and what to bypass but if I do this and nothing is wrong with it will it mess anything else up or is there a way to test the charger and OBC?
jlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2021, 03:22 PM   #12
jlambert
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are GC8-HCL-UT 117 mins at 56 Amps 170 AH at 20H
The Battery Charger is PowerDrive and is computer controlled
Old 11-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I suspect your OBC has failed and is overcharging the batteries and damaging them. The OBC is the computer that controls the power drive charger. The OBC MUST be there for the power drive charger to work.

Do you have a meter? Check voltage and look at the amp gauge on the charger. Plug it in and note the voltage and amperage. As time goes on, and batteries get charged, voltage should go UP as the amperage gauge goes DOWN. The amperage should continually go down and eventually the charger shut itself off, voltage should max out around 60-62 volts at the most (amp gauge should read less than 5 amps).

If this doesn’t happen, or the amperage doesn’t go down like it should then you likely have a bad OBC.

That’s how I check them anyway, but Some of the other guys here may have a more specific method.

If the OBC is bad, you have 2 options. Either replace the OBC or buy an aftermarket smart charger and bypass the OBC. The price difference is negligible between the two options.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How many batteries are you replacing? Only 1 or 2 at a time?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #15
jlambert
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
How many batteries are you replacing? Only 1 or 2 at a time?
A few months ago 3. this time looks like I need to replace 1
Old 11-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #16
jlambert
Not Yet Wild

About 4 months ago replaced all 6 with new.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That's part of your problem. You should replace the batteries as a set unless one gets damaged when they are new. Mixing good and bad batteries is not good for them. Still, most folks get at least four years out of a good set of batteries when properly cared for. A decent charger makes a big difference - and keeping them always charged is best for their longivity.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
jlambert
Not Yet Wild

So I just got this cart about 5 months ago and it would climb the driveway right off the get-go. So found out there were batteries bad and the guy who sold it to us gave us a deal on new ones thinking that was the problem. Get the Batteries and does good for about a month or 2 then the same thing happens so thinking I have a few bad batteries I just replace those well now I have another one bad so now I know something is wrong and have been researching and haven't really come across much that's why I posted on here to get help and it is really helping so far and seems like everyone is leaning to the same thing. To you point I agree but these batteries are pretty much new nad thought I just had a few bad ones in the bunch but now realizing that's not the case.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #19
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have to agree with everyone here. Your charger being a Powerdrive needs the OBC to work. I believe the OBC is defective.

Just bypass the OBC and get a good aftermarket charger. You will be ahead in the long run anyway. Others can give you more recommendations but look at the Lester brand.

Then you'll know you are charging your batteries correctly.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car