lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #1
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 10" vs 12" wheels?

I have stock 10" wheels, and I get around 16 to 17mph a 48 volt setup, but with the old 36 volt motor. I upgraded to solid state, but I was wanting to get new wheels honestly b/c I have the hubcap loooking setup.

Is is true that if I go 12" ill maybe get another mph or 2? or should I just stick with the 10"? I dont really understand how a bigger wheel would give me more speed, but maybe golf cars are different.
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 10" vs 12" wheels?

It's tire diameter - not wheel size. If you go from 20 inch to 22 inch tires, you will gain about 10% more top speed usually. It really depends on what is limiting your top speed though. I gained about 2mph on my Yamaha cart by going to larger diameter tires. You have to make sure that they will fit without a lift kit. I went with the largest tire diameter that would fit without rubbing. (don't want a lifted cart)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

i have a lifted cart already, not a huge lift, but im not worried about fitment. I am just worried about losing speed as my cart isnt fast. I want a better look and just dont want to lose anything. What would be a recommended wheel and tire setup size for a club car ds with my setup? Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

So all in all what would be the recommended wheel and tire size combo I should go for for my cart.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Volt_Ampere said, tire diameter is the only thing you need to look at.

Wheel size is not important other than a smaller diameter wheel with a 22" diameter tire will ride a lot softer than a larger diameter wheel with a 22" tire.

The more rubber between the rim and the road, the softer the ride. Go with the largest diameter tire that can safely clear the cart. Then find the wheel you like for it.

22's on a 10" rim is what I would recommend.

By the way, stock wheels are usually 8" diameter. Are you sure yours are 10"?

Last edited by Tom47; 11-30-2021 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Stock wheels
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

As you increase TIRE diameter, you increase speed but lose torque. How much of either depends on how much you go up in tire diameter. There is a calculator on this forum and I think it's in the tools section. If you don't find it look up some of JohnnieB's posts where he sheds light on percentage increases and decreases.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car