lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery question - prob easy ans

Hello all -- hope all had a great Thanksgiving!

Recently, I noticed my CC battery indicator light turns on after a short trip. I was going to buy a new pack, but thought I'd load test first (on jack stands). Here are the results. I was totally expecting a battery to be bad, but to me, looks like the battery pack is ok -- so now need some input / help from ya'll.

Powertron P8000 -- I7 date code Sept 2017 -- ?previous owner used distilled water
Surface charge -- 50.8 V
Load 80% accelerator -- 48.5 V
Each individual battery under load 8.0 V
ERIC charger

Cart details should be in the signature..thanks in advance for help before I fork over $$$ for a new pack.

THANKS!
gujuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Battery question - prob easy ans

You need to load test the pack by driving it on the ground. Jacking up the wheels in the air… you gotta move that 1000lb cart to load up the motor. Preferably up a big hill if you got one. Simply spinning a couple 10lb tires isn’t going to give you an accurate result
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Hook up alligator clips on the pack and check voltage going up a hill. That's how I can tell my pack is gone when I drive up even a small incline the cart barely goes. I have 6 volt powertron batteries that are dated 2017. Cart drives ok on the road but any incline kills the pack. Lucky for me I live in florida so not many hills.. I'll be upgrading to new 8 volt batteries this week.😢

Also it says in ur sig that you bought the cart with 3 year old batteries so who know how the previous owner took care of them. Check each cell for sulfation build up. Probably have a couple bad cells like 2 of my batteries do. Since the date code is 2017 they are likely toast.
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

aaa

Last edited by gujuman; 11-28-2021 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: found answer
Old 11-29-2021, 12:23 AM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post
I was going to buy a new pack, but thought I'd load test first (on jack stands) ... Load 80% accelerator
If I read this correctly, you load tested on jack stands with your accelerator at 80% ???

If that is the case, you would have been at a significant risk of over speeding your motor, resulting in excessive centrifugal forces which can lead your motor to self destruct (some use the term grenading)

When testing on jack stands (a no load case), it is best practice to only test at slow motor RPM's.

Find a photo below (pulled off of the internet) of a DC motor armature after it had been accidentally over sped ... with destructive consequences.

Over speed of DC Motor.jpg
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:27 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Other than the light coming on, have you had other issues? Run time etc.?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #7
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies -- yep, it does seem a little slower up the hills in our NC neighborhood.

Later today, I will check out the load up a hill with probes zip tied to the battery, since I don't have alligator clips easily accessible.

Yep did it on jack stands, just like the YouTube video, which was apparently not correct -- DOH!
Old 11-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
If I read this correctly, you load tested on jack stands with your accelerator at 80% ???

If that is the case, you would have been at a significant risk of over speeding your motor, resulting in excessive centrifugal forces which can lead your motor to self destruct (some use the term grenading)

When testing on jack stands (a no load case), it is best practice to only test at slow motor RPM's.

Find a photo below (pulled off of the internet) of a DC motor armature after it had been accidentally over sped ... with destructive consequences.

Attachment 225668
Sepex motors are far less susceptible to this problem because the controller has a speed sensor on the motor. It will not usually allow the motor to over-rev unless it has a hi speed magnet, or the controller has the speed limit disabled.
Series motors on the other hand... yes they can/will grenade themselves.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
gujuman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Finally got out there and here are the numbers:
Surface charge -- 50.1
Flat road -- 45
Hill -- 43.5

I tested 3 batteries individually with the following
surface charge 8.2
Hill - 7.4

I think that I know the answer, but also have some follow up questions. If I need a new pack, can I just buy them in the spring when cart will be used more or now since cart will be in garage over winter. If I wait, may just take out the batteries to get access to work on the controller/motor, etc. Can I just store them on garage floor, not charging, unlinked until swap out in spring?

Thanks again for input!
Old 11-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #10
SV1
Getting Wild

There are a some factors. How cold does your garage get and how much of a charge your batteries can hold. A battery that can hold a pretty good charge will go to sleep and not freeze. My carts and about 150 others at my cabin sit all winter out side in MN. off charger and they do fine. Not the best situation but bringing them home and putting them in the basement isn’t a very good option. I make sure mine are fully charged before disconnecting the pack. If a battery doesn’t hold a charge it will freeze and have various degrees of damage from just popping the caps to blowing the side out and leaking all over. When I worked for a company that sold batteries we had more than one trailer damaged when cores froze and leaked acid all over the floor
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car