lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Bad speed sensor or sumthing else

So I just got done installing Jake's spindle lift on an 07 precedent, go to take it for a test drive, and the cart won't crawl passed 5mph. I did the free roll test and no beeps and the cart has no resistance it rolls freely. All signs say speed sensor right? but here's the reason im in question, when installing the rear lift, the axle rolled a bit on me and put a little tension on the wires...(I know I know rookie mistake). Is there a test u can do for the wiring harness that plugs into the sensor to make sure I'm getting ample power and whatnot to the sensor? also installed a digital voltmeter to the dash in which I found 2 wires already behind the dash that had the full 48v going to them and were controlled by the ignition switch so I just used those, could that have anything to do with my speed problem?
Jayts508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Bad speed sensor or sumthing else

Pull the cover off your rear panel and check the wires going to the controller.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also I visually checked all wires and seen no signs of breakage or stress. and I made sure batteries were fully charged the batteries are only a tear old so its not them
Old 08-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Amazon has sensors for 20 bux. I'm thinking it'd be worth spending 20 bux to rule out one issue..
Old 08-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those cheap sensors (with a blue instead of green wire) don't have a good track record.

To test your sensor harness:
Disconnect the 3-pin plug from the speed sensor, with the Tow/Run switch on "Run", You should get 15v between the black and Red wires at the 3-pin connector.

You should also get 5v between black and green wires.

To test the sensor:

If the tests above are correct, You can test the output of the sensor "Green" wire by lifting one wheel and turning it by hand.

With the 3-pin plug connected and a wire piercing probe on the Green wire, the voltage will go from 0 to 5v - 24 times on a full wheel revolution.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

Spend a extra couple of bucks and get a good brand speed sensor. Been down that road and learned, cheap is not always good!
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #7
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well luck just isn't on my side today, went to test the harness, and my multimeter $h*t the bed on me! (Grr mondays) Unfortunately I already hit the buy it now button from amazon for the sensor, it'll be here Wednesday. Do u guys think it'll at least work enough for me to tell if the sensor was the culprit or not? Or are they sumtimes junk out of the box?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

It should, just most likey not to last long.
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Alright, thanks for all the info so far guys. My parts will be here Wed and I'll let ya know what the verdict is..
Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Speed sensors and MCORs are the two most common items that people try to save money on. They aftermarket ones are junk. Go with OEM on both of these items and you'll be glad you did. Especially speed sensors. I sell speed sensors all the time to people who have recently replaced them.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car