lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
dkbuckeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 CC DS IQ Speed Increase

I have an 04 DS IQ 48V with stock GM motor. I upgraded my cart with Doubletake Spartan body and 3” lift with 10” wheels, 22” tires. I was getting 16 mph after upgrading my cart. I added a 4-pole speed magnet from Revolution Golf Cars and it only increased to 17 mph. After talking with Dave at Revolution, I added the fuel line to the linkage connecting the MCOR. I now get 18mph. My question is, what can I do next (inexpensively) to increase speed. I have 6 8v Crown batteries, all reading 8.5 volts charged and 8.7 while charging. MCOR replacement? Is there a way to know if my throttle is fully engaged? Thanks
dkbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #2
dkbuckeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2004 CC DS IQ Speed Increase

Typo. 20x10 tires
Old 01-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I suspect you’re still not seeing full throttle. My 2008 did around 21-22mph steady with stock size tires and a speed magnet on the lead acid batteries. Goes faster with lithium but voltage is slightly higher and it weighs about 300lbs less…

How old are your batteries and what does the voltage read while you’re cruising full throttle?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:18 PM   #4
dkbuckeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Batteries are 2 1/2 years old. I bought the cart last summer and keep it garages and charged. Topped off with water a few weeks ago. Each battery reads 8.4 fully charged. Total voltage is 50.4 static after charging dropping to 46.8 at full throttle. It drops lower at takeoff (46.1) then climbs to 46.8 and holds steady. I get plenty of range on a charge but not speed I expected. I’m curious if it’s my batteries or my charger isn’t getting them fully charged. I have a Thunderbull charger that initially charged at 10-12 amps then drops to 5 after a while, then drops to zero.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

50.4 is definitely not fully charged. Is this after sitting for a half day off the charger? Or right off the charger?

If it’s holding at 46 full throttle crusading on flat pavement it’s definitely a bit on the low side. Before I switched out my lead batteries for lithium, fresh charge would read about 51.1-51.2 after sitting off the charger for a few hours or a week. Flat pavement it would hold ~48v cruising full throttle. Obviously that drops during acceleration or when you go up a hill. But it would hold high 47’s and low 48’s on flat pavement at speed. In the summer. In winter at 30 degrees voltage would be a fair bit lower, 45-46v range.

I’d say they’re not being fully charged for some reason. That will definitely affect performance… I don’t know exactly how much I can only speak to my personal experiences but I know that with lithium, full throttle flat pavement I hold a little over 51 volts and picked up about +/- 3mph between the voltage and weight reduction over what I had with the 4x12v lead batteries.

I still think you might not be seeing full throttle to the controller. Should be easy to measure resistance coming out of the MCOR. I believe it should read about 5k ohms at rest and be 0 ohms at full pedal
Old 01-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

As CP-241 said, it appears you are not getting full throttle. Check the resistance of the MCOR at full pedal. You should read 0 ohms. If not, that might be your problem.

I also suspect the controller and the motor. The controller may be set for a speed code 3 which will limit your top speed to 17 or 18 on 20" tires. Check with Dave at Revolution to confirm this.

The motor brushes may be worn but that would give you an erratic speed, not just a lower one.

And as mentioned, you are only charging to 90%. Your batteries may be going early. Check the specific gravity of each cell with a hydrometer. Make sure all cells are in the green range. If not, they are going out.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
As CP-241 said, it appears you are not getting full throttle. Check the resistance of the MCOR at full pedal. You should read 0 ohms. If not, that might be your problem.

I also suspect the controller and the motor. The controller may be set for a speed code 3 which will limit your top speed to 17 or 18 on 20" tires. Check with Dave at Revolution to confirm this.

The motor brushes may be worn but that would give you an erratic speed, not just a lower one.

And as mentioned, you are only charging to 90%. Your batteries may be going early. Check the specific gravity of each cell with a hydrometer. Make sure all cells are in the green range. If not, they are going out.

He’s got a speed magnet which will bypass any speed code agree on all other points though :)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:23 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
He’s got a speed magnet which will bypass any speed code agree on all other points though :)

Yes, you're right it should, but something is not right. He's maxing out at 3800rpm at 18mph. Something is throttling it down and it could be the MCOR, I guess.

The speed magnet should give him 5000rpm. That motor is capable of 5000rpm which would give him around 23mph. But that's only if the brushes are good condition. He may have a lot of arcing going on.

Maybe someone else has an idea what's going on here.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
dkbuckeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys. I’ll check the cells with a hydrometer and MCOR resistance in a couple days. I’m in Key West and we won’t have good weather for another couple days. I’ll also see if I can find someone with a charger and see if I get a better charge off a different charger.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
dkbuckeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quick update. Went to check SG on the battery cells and realized I had overfilled them a couple weeks ago. I removed the excess to the proper levels and drove it a few miles. Charged overnight then checked levels this morning after unplugging. I got 1275 or more on each cell consistently with 3 cells on 3 different batteries around 1260-1265 range. Drove it with voltmeter on. Speed is now 20 on flat. 52V reading after charge. Drops to 47.3 wide open sustained. I haven’t checked MCOR resistance because I don’t have a controller or jacks to elevate the rear to monitor while engaging throttle live. I’m guessing my OBC and or my charger aren’t letting the batteries reach full capacity. I have a Thunderbull 48vdc charger. I’m thinking I could upgrade to a Lester Summit II charger and mount it onboard bypassing the OBC. I take this cart to the Keys in winter for 3 months with my 5th wheel and I can’t garage it. I also take it several times a year to Trap shooting tourneys and it’s outside and charging outside. The Summit is a sealed unit and seems better for these uses. Thoughts? If that doesn’t work I’m thinking of an entire motor/controller pkg upgrade down the line. Then go to lithium when these batteries are shot. I feel like I should get 22-23 currently with a full charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car