lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #1
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default She keeps me coming back here

Just when I get my cart running and looking great SHE pulls something new and something I can't, as a no experience golf cart mechanic, figure out. My latest is this: It seems to me like when I press the accelerator the gas goes in the engine and THEN the spark hits. This gives me a neck jerk. I cannot get smooth acceleration. I have a volt meter and I can see that the momentary switch, operated by the accelerator, is depressed as the volt meter is reading voltage. So with the momentary switch on the spark should be on.?? This happens almost always on take off and not when moving. But if I drive along and take my foot completely off the accelerator pause a few seconds and back on the accelerator I get a back fire. I remember many years ago when I had a 1950 Chevy I could drive along, turn off the ignition, coast a ways and turn the ignition back on and bang. Well, this seems the same thing is happening as I do turn off the spark when I release the accelerator (momentary switch) and then back on and bang. I am thinking that maybe there is a problem in the throttle linkage but don't know how to correct it. I have looked at the butterfly in the carburetor and it seems to be completely closed, maybe not?? Maybe this is why it backfires? should the throttle linkage be sloppy loose? Mine is tight but not tight enough to keep the throttle from closing completely or so it seems. I probably have not given all the facts for a good diagnosis so please ask me any questions that will help you help me. I surely appreciate any help. Thanks.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: She keeps me coming back here

Look closely at the clip that seats in the steel bracket just below the carburator throttle arm...there is a square hole that the clip seats in. If the clip pulled out, you would get all those things. Just needs to be snapped back in place. Easy way to tell is when the cart is at rest, look at the accelerator arm at the carb...is it seated up against the stop, or not. I suspect not. If not, it isn't closing the carb all the way. Could also be a fray in the cable inside the sheath somewhere, or a pinch in it.
JPonLKN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JPonLKN for the advice. I checked the clip that you mentioned. It is firmly in place but I did notice that I can move the throttle arm just a bit to completely close the butterfly. I worked the accelerator and see that fully released, the throttle arm is not closed all the way and I would suppose the butterfly is not fully closed as it appears to be to the naked eye. So I am guessing it must be one or all of the cables hanging up some where. I don’t suppose there is an easy way to grease them. I guess my only choice is to take the cart to my local EZGO repair shop and have them replace the cables. I just don’t have the experience to replace them myself and get the right tension or the right play. Thanks
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

It sounds like the symptoms with the older robin engine when the throttle opens before the pedal switch activates. If this has just started happening, something may have jerked a cable or linkage out of place. As you say, gas is going in before the plug fires. I have no experience with these engines in the TXT, only the older ones. All you need to do is find out what is keeping the butterfly slightly open. A dealer would probably charge a fair bit to investigate this. I think if you look at the cables and any linkages you have, you should be able to spot something yourself. JPonLKN may be able to guide you through this better than me.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO