lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
tee1uppetty
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrade to Litium batteries

I have a 2008 CC Precedent 48v with a motor that goes 27 mph on new batteries. Iam about to need new batteries and would like to know about converting to Lithium (1- battery 48v 105a) I am being told that all I need to do is hook it just like a regular battery. But another place is telling me I need to buy "extra" stuff so I dont fry my controller. They dont say what "extra" stuff I need though. Just want to make sure before I spend that much $ on my cart that is safe.
Thank you
tee1uppetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade to Litium batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1uppetty View Post
I have a 2008 CC Precedent 48v with a motor that goes 27 mph on new batteries. Iam about to need new batteries and would like to know about converting to Lithium (1- battery 48v 105a) I am being told that all I need to do is hook it just like a regular battery. But another place is telling me I need to buy "extra" stuff so I dont fry my controller. They dont say what "extra" stuff I need though. Just want to make sure before I spend that much $ on my cart that is safe.
Thank you
Search Eco Battery, site sponsor, for information on their 105 AH battery that will fit your cart. Their kit comes with everything you need. No surprises!

Go to this link and put in your cart info and what range you want. I guess the 2008 Precedent had a frame change mid-year so be careful which one you choose.

https://ecobattery.com/pages/golf

Unless you are traveling more than 35 miles and on each charge, the 72 AH will be all you need. Take my word for it. I get a solid 35+ miles on a full charge. I charge it every time I run more than 5 miles.

Many items are out of stock until March, but local dealers do have batteries available.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

What Tom said, but you will have to get a new charger and bypass the OBC. Maybe that’s what the supplier was alluding to?
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

That's probably what it is, Pat. Eco Battery has everything in their kit price including the SOC meter and shunt plus the correct onboard charger.

It's just a lot easier for old timers like me to do the drop-ins. Now if I lived in AU and had a wealth of lithium battery knowledge, I would have built my own.

Or more likely, I would have you build it for me.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1uppetty View Post
Thank you
I don't know what they would mean by extra stuff...Usually the drop in packs come with charger, BMS & voltmeter and they have no effect on your controller. 48 volts is 48 volts, doesn't matter if it comes from Lithium, gel or FLA batteries. Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you something OR they are ignorant about Lithium. I wouldn't use them anymore. Just hook up battery negative and positive and go. And, yes, you need to be aware of if it will fit in your battery compartment and how it will be secured. I had to do a little modification. Used some plywood and it fit just fine. Lithium drop ins are "safe & effective". You will be amazed at what dropping 400#'s will do for the performance. Eco Battery (sponsor here), Big Battery, Roypow, Evolution are all good brands, just need to find best price and stock availablility.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
tee1uppetty
Not Yet Wild

Thank you guys for all the useful info (as usual) I feel more confident now so I am going to head to the closest dealer and pick one up. Thanks again
tee1uppetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:58 PM   #7
englishwl
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am new to this but doing research for the same upgrade. I think you might also need a 48v-12v reducer if you run lights.
englishwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #8
Morgancarlisle
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Following
Morgancarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
1sharphook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Search Eco Battery, site sponsor, for information on their 105 AH battery that will fit your cart. Their kit comes with everything you need. No surprises!

Go to this link and put in your cart info and what range you want. I guess the 2008 Precedent had a frame change mid-year so be careful which one you choose.

https://ecobattery.com/pages/golf

Unless you are traveling more than 35 miles and on each charge, the 72 AH will be all you need. Take my word for it. I get a solid 35+ miles on a full charge. I charge it every time I run more than 5 miles.

Many items are out of stock until March, but local dealers do have batteries available.
Tom, Can you tell us what the maximum continuous discharge value is as read from the label on your battery?
Old 01-29-2022, 01:05 PM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
Tom, Can you tell us what the maximum continuous discharge value is as read from the label on your battery?
Maximum discharge amps is 150. In actual operation on level pavement, the most I have seen is 94 amps, although it may have peaked slightly above that when I wasn't looking.

I have the Alltrax set at 150 motoring amps. I have no hills so no need for an occasional more than that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car