lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: InfiniteReality's '99 Lowered EZGO TXT Build

Got my cart lowered 2" front and rear. 2"x1/4" square tubing in the rear, after seeing it lowered noticed the rear wheels sit further back and the diff would hit the bagwell. I cut out some new tubing and drilled the center pin holes 1" further forward, after installing it I went too far forward. I honestly thought 1" was the sweet spot after measuring, but live and learn. I'll just flip the blocks over and drill 3/4" forward from center, I "think" that'll be centered.

For the front, after flipping leafs 180 I realized my tie rod ends would be in the way with the steering box on the cart. After trial and error of flipping them every which way, flipping axle, etc I chose to also add blocks to the front. While 1/4" square tubing is some stout stuff, I wanted to box them in since they're on the front of the leafs and for appearance reasons I angled them so they'd somewhat follow the lines of the leafs & mounting plates. I'm a beginner at metal work and welding, so they're not pretty but work. I'll lose ground clearance this way obviously, but my tie rod ends are completely out of the way on full drop or raised. I copied the shock placement of HotCat without putting much thought into it and the way I lowered it, so my air shocks are almost bottomed out as is.

I had every intention of going lower front/rear when I get air shocks for the rear, so when I do I'll adjust my front shock mounts accordingly. The plan is to simply weld 2 pieces of 2"x3/8" flat bar on top and bottom of the blocks and that should be very close for very little fender gap. Unknown is if I'll have to relocate the rear shocks going another 3/4", haven't pulled a tape on them as it is, but guessing so.

I ordered some wheels and tires that should be here by the weekend, although they won't get mounted till the suspension stuff is sorted.

I bought a VIP dash for the cart to "update" it and should allow me to run a 2DIN android screen I had from a previous project. I also plan to add tank/compressor in the bagwell so I can adjust from the driver's seat. I tested a 3gal (100psi) pancake tank/compressor I had laying around in the shop and to full extend the shocks takes ~10psi, I was hoping to only get away with a tank but compressor is the way to go. I haven't decided on a 12v battery under the seat or a high amp step down to power it and other 12v things.

Long ways to go still, but won't be long before I pull the body to wire and plumb everything as well as paint and some fresh powdercoat. I also plan to make something for the golf bag mount so I can haul both trash cans to the road with the cart, we have a long driveway and it sucks walking them out in the cold and/or rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_223122812.jpg (228.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_223140492.jpg (290.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_223156742.jpg (284.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_222607127.jpg (237.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210224_013442043.jpg (236.2 KB, 0 views)
InfiniteReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2021, 12:04 AM   #12
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Tires and wheels came in today, but won't share style yet until it's closer to being finished., They're 12x7 on 18x8.5 AT tires that fit with a 2in drop. Steering works lock-to-lock and have a finger gap on closest spot.

Took my 330mm OMP Superquadro steering wheel from my SLC to see how it'd look on the TXT. Not sure about a flat bottom wheel on a cart, but like having all terrain tires on a lowered cart...I like different. And no way would I spend $250 for a cart steering wheel, but they make knockoffs for $50 and got one on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210226_215523329.jpg (179.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210227_021633505.jpg (148.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210225_220507794.jpg (242.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

**** you for living outside of Texas.. lol... I need more 3d printing nerds around where I live to hang out and be part of my "printing stupid crap that would cost 1/3 the cost elsewhere" lol :P

I have my Ender 3 and was debating what all to print with it. I was going to do fishing lures as well, but have not found any I care for, STLs. I bought a slew of lures to measure and attempt to replicate :P

Also debating printing a new front plate for the body....but a lot cheaper to buy it heh

R
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyTX View Post
**** you for living outside of Texas.. lol... I need more 3d printing nerds around where I live to hang out and be part of my "printing stupid crap that would cost 1/3 the cost elsewhere" lol :P

I have my Ender 3 and was debating what all to print with it. I was going to do fishing lures as well, but have not found any I care for, STLs. I bought a slew of lures to measure and attempt to replicate :P

Also debating printing a new front plate for the body....but a lot cheaper to buy it heh

R
Louisiana actually but only 8 miles from Texas, haha. I've owned my printer for years but past couple of them I've really started to put it to useful stuff. I'm still learning modeling, but getting better. Just takes practice. I have an old XZY Davinci Jr printer but really need to consider upgrading soon, especially for ABS. I've also considered the front emblem as well, and while easy to do I'd really need a resin printer for smoothness.

Speaking of, this was last nights random idea. Cover for the lowering blocks up front. First print worked great, just need to shorten it. I think I'll end up doing something for the rear leaf hanger as well to hide them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210227_013813104.jpg (262.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210227_155931088.jpg (244.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 12:17 AM   #15
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

After designing/printing some covers for the front lowering blocks and seeing how much it cleaner it looked, decided to do the same for the rear leaf shackle. Fit like a glove on first try.

With both covers fitting properly, this evening I cleaned them up in the model by rounding the corners more drastically. More PLA is on the way, I'll print a full set of them and paint them matte black so they so blend in better.

Also this weekend I swapped the stock rear shocks for a matching set of Monroe MA705s. Little more difficult to do than I expected, especially with the body on. Unfortunately for me with the new bushings on the air shocks, it raised the rear about 3/4" than what it was previously. Airing them up to test, I don't get as much travel as I hoped either. Looks like I have some stuff to figure out to get the cart lower, appears relocating the mounts won't be simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210228_012158126.jpg (250.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210228_210249021.jpg (247.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (27.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 06:25 AM   #16
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

looking good
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:16 AM   #17
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Kicking rocks with random ideas. 9in android screen and possibly a rear view camera mounted in a universal fin. Likely will run 2way 6.5 speakers for the dash and 2way 6x8 for the forward face of the seat area.

Also purchased a pair of 6ckt fuse blocks (with grounds) for constant and ignition 12v, as well as a higher amperage 4ckt. fuse block. The latter is overkill for a cart, but should make for a cleaner install versus separate components. Sketching out the backpanel layout (to scale) with a wiring diagram for it all. 8ga cable will feed each 6ckt block, 12 and 16ga will feed my miscellaneous 12v items.

Lots of other miscellaneous items purchased, I'll list them out as they get installed or when I sit down at my PC and have some time. Build is officially "out of hand", but thoroughly enjoying the planning stage. I can't wait to get the body pulled off and start wiring, mounting and tubing everything. Hoping to do all of that in between my attempt to paint the body. Just trying to have as much as possible ready so I can have as little down time as possible, my 2yr old loves to make rides daily...as do I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210302_005234838.jpg (218.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210301_230509976.jpg (201.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210303-083002.jpg (40.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210303-083029.jpg (33.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #18
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Very nice. I do not design stuff well, so.. heh.. need to practice it :P

Looking very good though!
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #19
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyTX View Post
Very nice. I do not design stuff well, so.. heh.. need to practice it :P

Looking very good though!
Thanks! To be honest about the printing thing and even applies to learning to weld, at least for me... As much as I wanted to learn and do, I always always spinning my wheels to actually invest my time and I've found the secret to be to have a project you really want to build from scratch. For me with 3D was a few things, with the last being the headlight retrofit. Welding was a little frame with wheels to mount a seat from the SLC. Just a little motivational speak and my experience.

You will burn through some media printing, Ill snap a picture of my waste before I trash it. I was not efficient at all with it or printing time at for the headlight bezel/adapter. I've learned to print separate pieces as needed until the end.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #20
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Pic as promised
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210304_200245739.jpg (313.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO