lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 96 fe 290 hesitates to turn over

1996 carryal 1, has divorced rear end, fe290

cart has always had a hesitation when starting, and I have dealt with it but recently feels like it has gotten worse. My old 1999 DS was the same way.

If i get on a cart at a golf course, you push the pedal any amount (slightly to idle, halfway to cruise, or even push it to the floor) and the engine fires and you drive away.

If i push the pedal on my cart I have to wait 4-8 seconds for any kind of response and i can barely put any pressure on it.

When I mash my pedal to the floor, it will not start. will not do anything, unless the motor is hot from running.

I always have to barely push the pedal just enough to get something to turn over, and usually feather it a few times to get anything to fire. Belts start squeaking but nothing turns over for several seconds.

Recently had 1 instance where it refused to start at all. had to push the cart out of the way of the road then it started once I moved it.

To me, signs point to a starter /brushes like there are some bad spots but I'm not sure if that would cause the hesitation that always happens or not.

Cart is much more responsive when fully hot from running it hard but if I am just at a slow cruise and stop, it always takes me 4-10 seconds to get it to move again. making being in traffic difficult.

Any tips or tricks or ideas, google wasn't leading me to much. May pull starter and have it looked at anyways.

thanks
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2022, 11:06 AM   #2
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: 96 fe 290 hesitates to turn over

Sounds like The brushes wore out in your S/G. I had the same hesitation problem when staring our golf cart with a cold engine, fixed it by replacing the brushes. I advise putting new ones in, they aren't that much on amazon. Hope this Helps!
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 96 fe 290 hesitates to turn over

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartMan154 View Post
Sounds like The brushes wore out in your S/G. I had the same hesitation problem when staring our golf cart with a cold engine, fixed it by replacing the brushes. I advise putting new ones in, they aren't that much on amazon. Hope this Helps!
Was it bad to do yourself? or should I take it to a local starter shop? I don't know too much about these as far as tearing them apart. Thanks
Old 05-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

This is very very common the starter gen has a hard time turning the engine over past the compression stroke.

First check the brushes. If the ends of them are below the holders replace them and use a little Emory cloth on the com bars just to clean it up a bit and make sure none are damaged.

Make sure your connections for power and ground at the starter gen are clean and tight and have no resistance when under load. Bad connections cause voltage drop. Voltage drop takes “useable” power away from what you’re trying to do with the circuit. Some simple voltage drop tests while starting the engine will quickly and easily expose connection problems.

Make sure your battery is if adequate size and condition. Most carts I’ve used a lawnmower battery and never had a single problem. But the club car has a lot of compression it seems the starter has a hard time overcoming it, harder than others and not completely sure why. Sometimes I’ve had luck with a stronger battery but not always.

If all else fails the starter may just be old and tired and time for a replacement. After all it is an electric motor that’s nearing 30 years old and nothing lasts forever. If you replace it be sure to get an oem starter not a cheapie off eBay/amazo. Those truly are garbage and most of those fail within a month or two and fail catastrophically
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:57 PM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
This is very very common the starter gen has a hard time turning the engine over past the compression stroke.

First check the brushes. If the ends of them are below the holders replace them and use a little Emory cloth on the com bars just to clean it up a bit and make sure none are damaged.

Make sure your connections for power and ground at the starter gen are clean and tight and have no resistance when under load. Bad connections cause voltage drop. Voltage drop takes “useable” power away from what you’re trying to do with the circuit. Some simple voltage drop tests while starting the engine will quickly and easily expose connection problems.

Make sure your battery is if adequate size and condition. Most carts I’ve used a lawnmower battery and never had a single problem. But the club car has a lot of compression it seems the starter has a hard time overcoming it, harder than others and not completely sure why. Sometimes I’ve had luck with a stronger battery but not always.

If all else fails the starter may just be old and tired and time for a replacement. After all it is an electric motor that’s nearing 30 years old and nothing lasts forever. If you replace it be sure to get an oem starter not a cheapie off eBay/amazo. Those truly are garbage and most of those fail within a month or two and fail catastrophically
Battery is less than a year old but your post is enough to convince me to take it and have it checked out at the alternator shop. I had them repair an EZGO starter generator a few years ago when I was hitting dead spots.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d do voltage drop tests first and make sure that’s all good before taking anything anywhere and spending money. It doesn’t cost anything except a little time and a meter to test and diagnose…
Old 05-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #7
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I’d do voltage drop tests first and make sure that’s all good before taking anything anywhere and spending money. It doesn’t cost anything except a little time and a meter to test and diagnose…
just test the connections at the starter when pushing the pedal?
Old 05-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
just test the connections at the starter when pushing the pedal?
No. Voltage DROP test.

Put the positive lead on the + battery post. Put the negative lead on the starter/generator’s + battery post. Crank the engine. If you have more than .005 volts or so you’ve got a problem.

Then do the same thing on the negative side. Put the negative lead on the negative battery terminal and the positive lead on the ground post of the starter. Crank the engine. Again you should read 0 volts or very very close to it. No more than a few milivolts
Old 05-27-2022, 04:46 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
Belts start squeaking but nothing turns over for several seconds.
This suggests maybe the starter generator belt my not be tight enough.

If this is all it is, replace the belt as the old one will likely be polished and worn.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #10
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
This suggests maybe the starter generator belt my not be tight enough.

If this is all it is, replace the belt as the old one will likely be polished and worn.
Well I looked into it after posting this, and that belt is the original (at least it looks like it). Ordered a new one, havent went to the alternator shop yet.

Having said that, previously this was not a belt/squeaking issue. The cart just didnt do anything for several seconds when you pushed the pedal. You would have to feather it at less than 1/4 throttle to get any kind of response, and eventually the motor would turn over. I did tighten the belt I have to minimal results, I am pretty sure its 30 years old so I just ordered one. Will try it after that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car