lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2022, 05:42 AM   #1
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 31HP Kawasaki liquid-cooled V-Twin

Hello all, just wanted to start of by saying thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I have a few questions about this engine:

https://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/e...caAlWpEALw_wcB

I have a 2003 EZ-GO with a Honda 24HP V-Twin with Terra Toys Front and Rear End. I was able to hunt down Arturo’s (Terra Toys Owners) Cart. Terra Toys suspensions is kind of a holy grail thing for me in AZ.

Anyways I live in AZ and because of our road laws I want to use my cart EVERYDAY. So, I would like to go water-cooled without having to put an ATV or street bike engine in. due to the high temps in the summer + im a heavier guy so there is more load on the cart.

My questions –
1. Will this engine even work? My understanding is any horizontal shaft engine will work?
(Yes I know getting it to fit is a different story and I know I will need to relocate a lot of parts on this engine to get it to fit)

2. I don’t plan on modifying the engine based on the specs could I expect to get 30-32 MPH out of that engine stock?
3. Can I just take my clutch off my current 24HP set up and install it onto this engine or is that not how this works?
4. Based on a pricing standpoint should I just rebuild my Honda 24 HP with performance parts and do an external oil cooler for the heat?

I’m open to ideas; my main goal is to feel confident taking the cart out in 105 heat on a 5 mile ride. And feel "safe".

Again, all these questions are outside of fabrication I understand there will be a lot of fab work which I am fine with. Just not sure on how these clutches and gears work.
JOEMORF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 31HP Kawasaki liquid-cooled V-Twin

What is the shaft size of the new motor compared to the one you currently have, if they are the same you could try to bolt it on there. Also what is the height of the new motor, will you need to lower it in the cart frame to clear the bottom of the seat?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

New Shaft: 1-1/8"x3-3/4" Keyed Shaft

Doesn't seem to match what I have. I would need to measure but based on online specs they are not the same.

With my Terra Carts Rear end I can play around with clearances on the engine.

But I guess I am going to have to try and find another Engine that mates with this clutch that is water cooled.

I really don't want to to a full UTV swap.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:07 AM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEMORF View Post
New Shaft: 1-1/8"x3-3/4" Keyed Shaft

Doesn't seem to match what I have. I would need to measure but based on online specs they are not the same.

With my Terra Carts Rear end I can play around with clearances on the engine.

But I guess I am going to have to try and find another Engine that mates with this clutch that is water cooled.

I really don't want to to a full UTV swap.
Been out of the cart thing for a spell but, what clutch do you have now and does that same one make one to fit your new engine?

You need to post some pics of this thing.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Hmm don't recall the rules from this site, I should... don't get mad admins...

https://6x6parts.com/high-performanc...e-23-35hp.html
Old 02-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

While this sounds like a really cool project, I don’t know if it’s going to do what you want, and don’t know that liquid cooled is really “necessary”. When I lived in GA I regularly took my carts out for 10+ mile rides in 100 degree heat with 50000% humidity and never had a problem. I tend to run my carts pretty hard….

If your cart runs good and does what it’s supposed to with a 24hp engine it would probably be perfectly fine as-is.

If you’re gonna change anyhing, I’d put 6:1 gears in it. Should be capable of 40+ mph easily. So doing your goal ~30mph would put the engine at a MUCH lower RPM and as a result it would run a lot cooler and not work nearly as hard at that speed.

Just my .02 anyway. To get those speeds comfortably you’ll want to regear it anyway so I’d start there and see what you’ve got. You gotta remember that engine RPM directly relates to speed since these are a single fixed gear drive. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got a 100hp engine it’s still gonna be spinning 6000+ rpm to get 30+ mph. No engine is going to be happy spinning that fast for extended amounts of time.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #7
JOEMORF
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
While this sounds like a really cool project, I don’t know if it’s going to do what you want, and don’t know that liquid cooled is really “necessary”. When I lived in GA I regularly took my carts out for 10+ mile rides in 100 degree heat with 50000% humidity and never had a problem. I tend to run my carts pretty hard….

If your cart runs good and does what it’s supposed to with a 24hp engine it would probably be perfectly fine as-is.

If you’re gonna change anyhing, I’d put 6:1 gears in it. Should be capable of 40+ mph easily. So doing your goal ~30mph would put the engine at a MUCH lower RPM and as a result it would run a lot cooler and not work nearly as hard at that speed.

Just my .02 anyway. To get those speeds comfortably you’ll want to regear it anyway so I’d start there and see what you’ve got. You gotta remember that engine RPM directly relates to speed since these are a single fixed gear drive. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got a 100hp engine it’s still gonna be spinning 6000+ rpm to get 30+ mph. No engine is going to be happy spinning that fast for extended amounts of time.
The exact advice I was looking for. Thank you! I end up putting good money into these carts as I use them as second cars out here. I have not had one blow up on me but I tried to only use it in the spring and winter. That's great to hear. All my destinations are within a 5 mile round trip Home Depot Safeway ETC.

Ill look into those High Speed Gears as well. I dont care about low end power just need top speed. Do they last a while? Few years i would assume?

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The HS gears should last the life of the cart

With the gears, a stock engine will have a noticeable torque loss, particularly on hills. However, with a 24hp Honda v-twin you’ll still have plenty of power even with the HS gears. You definitely won’t be hurting :)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:14 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I agree with CP. The Honda's are tops on the list for reliability and longevity. And air cooled will suit your use as long as you aren't over revving it. And if you want to keep the rev limiter and the power level is good enough for you, the Honda is a good choice.

With that said, if you are after "max power", you should look at a 23hp Briggs Vanguard or HF670, simply due to the aftermarket support for these engines. Both of these have gobs of parts, and it's possible to double the power output with the right combination of parts. Again, if you take care of it, reliability shouldn't be much of an issue. Honda's aren't as "performance friendly".

Liquid cooled engines, however, will make more power per cc/ci than air cooled. In stock form they will be more reliable and give better performance too. The downside is plumbing the cooling system. It's not impossible, I've seen it done. But CP is right, might not be "necessary" for your application.

Yes, gears are a must. Also I'd add front hydraulic disc brakes and rack and pinion steering, just for safety's sake.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The few times I have flown in and out of AZ, I noticed that there are some actual lawns around in some areas. Are they mowing them with lawn tractors? These air cooled honda and predator engines are really just lawn tractor engines, or multi-purpose engines, but we see them most often on lawn and garden tractors. If lawn and garden tractors aren't blowing up every day out there due to the heat, I wouldn't expect the cart to either. While it is thought that humid air can cool better than dry air as the humid air has more heat carrying capacity than air alone, it is negligible until it becomes saturated (ie: fog, mist, rain, etc.) in which case it is significantly better at dissipating heat. If I wanted bang for my buck to help with engine cooling, I'd keep what you have, and add a 12v fan to help push air past the engine, maybe diamond cut the cooling fins to increase surface area for cooling. Before I would do any of it, I would run it this summer can get a temp gauge on the engine to see what temps you are running under load, and compare it to the design temperature operating range for that engine. If it stays in range, leave it alone and run it. These motors are designed to run at 3600 rpm 100% of the time. I suspect you will be within the operating range.

Adding speed as has been said before above is a gearing issue, and can be achieved by high speed gears 1:6 or 1:8, and/or taller tires. As you increase the gearing, you add load to the engine. I would figure out what gearing (gears and tires) you need to achieve the speed over ground you want with the engine working at its design operating RPM.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liquid-cooled, terra toys, water-cooled
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO