lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #1
EducatorDave
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default 1974 Harley Model D Rebuild Project

I recently purchased a new-to-me 1974 Harley gas golf cart. I am looking forward to making this into a fine-running machine and hope to share my trials and tribulations here. I am also hoping to get my 11-year-old son involved in the project but I am finding his attention span is quite limited.

I believe this cart is in pretty good shape as is and hoping I will not need to get into the clutch, the drivetrain or the lower engine. Fingers crossed!

So far, I have taken off the carburetor, fuel tank and top of the engine. I have ordered a new carb, new points and condenser, piston (40 over), rings and new gaskets. I also purchased some rear tires with rims and a new rubber for the front.

I will share photos however since I am a new member, it will not let me post photos until I have been on the forum for 7 days.
EducatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1974 Harley Model D Rebuild Project

Keep us posed on how it goes. Ya it may be easier to find clutch parts than keep an 11 year olds attention. I last rebuilt a clutch about 10 years ago and had several used parts to choose the best from and combine into a good one and I think I still ended up spending over $100 on used and NOS parts to actually make a decent one up.

If you have the engine that far apart I think I would take it the rest of the way down and replace the crank seals. Its not a terrible job you just have to be careful not to break things like the pulley and flywheel when getting them off the crank.

New carbs can be hit and miss for quality and if they work. I have not had the best luck with them and still try repairing the originals if possible even though a Tilitson kit can cost more than a new china carb.

New points especially the ones that come in the tune up kits seem to also be garbage. The only brand that hasn't yet let me down is Standard Igntion. DR2240 is the part number, don't get the one with the T on the end. I have not bought any for a while so hopefully they still have the non T's and they are still good. They fit 1950's-80's GM 4 and inline 6 engines so most auto parts stores still stock them.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson