lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Lowliner06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Post Lithium RoyPow 105Ah & Conversion to 48 volts 1997 EZGO TXT

In 1997 my father purchased a new 36 volt EZGO TXT Freedom for about $4,000. It started life with a Curtis 1205-117 400amp controller, heavy duty F/R switch and 3,300 rpm 3.3HP motor & 10” wheels with 18” tires.

The cart spent it’s first 20 years in Arizona running all over the place on a very flat golf course and very flat roads and worked great. Three years ago we moved to North Carolina and the hills are killing the cart. On the steep longer runs (¼ mile uphill) think 5-9 mph and range was cut in half.

The cart has been very well maintained and is nearly all original. We’ve only replaced a few wires, brake pads, tires and batteries over the last 23 years which is either good or shows how boring we are...

Due to covid-19 I’ve had extra time on my hands and decided to improve the cart performance on long hills. I picked a single hill that per my iPhone altimeter has 150 feet of elevation change in exactly a ¼ mile.

The target/goal for improvements was to be able to average 15 mph up the ¼ hill and chase more torque and speed. After doing some basic research it was pretty clear getting to 48 volts was the best path forward. I had decided a while back that my next batteries would be lithium and selected the RoyPow 105Ah battery after much research.

As time was not a big factor I decided to make a few changes to the cart then test. Then make a few more and test only against the dreaded uphill ¼ mile.

The first stock test run on the 1/4 mile up hill came in at 93 seconds with an average speed of 9.7mph (the average of 3 runs). With this as a starting point I moved to 2 gauge wires, a D&D 170-013-0001 motor, Alltrax SR 48500, new Heavy Duty F/R switch, new solenoid, new RoyPow 48 volt 105 Ah battery, adjusted the ITS and cleaned/adjusted the brakes. The final result was a 54 second uphill ¼ mile with an average speed of 16.7 mph. This was about 1 more mile per hour than my project goal. The cart is still on 18" tires and when they wear out I will likely go up a size.

I found the conversion to be fairly easy. Searching old posts on this site was a huge resource and answered 99% of my questions. The programmable controller is a big step up for me. The RoyPow lithium battery is so light, clean and easy to install. My battery weight with 6 - 6 volts was 372 pounds; now it’s 95 pounds so the cart dropped 200+ pounds and it picked up 12+ volts. A bonus is all space under the seat. My wife added a 20” X 9” X 9” plastic bin to store stuff next to the battery (see the attached photo).

Range for me was not a major factor as most days we run 10 to 15 miles. With all the huge hills I’m getting 3 to 4 miles per bar on my SOC meter. I’m expecting to have a 30 mile range in a very hilly area.

I still need to finish up my accessory wiring (ran out of connectors and wire), clean the cart back up and put trim back on but I went ahead and attached are a few photos of the old girl in her current state.

See the attached PDF’s for the test run data. I did the project in 10 stages and made test runs after each. Also attached is the alltrax monitor data of the final run up a 1/4 hill with 150 feet of elevation change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery.jpg (204.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Side of Cart.jpg (201.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Final Test Number 10.zip (99.3 KB, 0 views)
Lowliner06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Lithium RoyPow 105Ah & Conversion to 48 volts 1997 EZGO TXT

Great Information, thanks for posting. I will be converting my 36v TXT in the future.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
Lowliner06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium RoyPow 105Ah & Conversion to 48 volts 1997 EZGO TXT

It was all pretty easy the only thing that confused me for a few minutes was the original wiring harness has a green positive for the factory /dealer installed accessories / lights and it goes across just two batteries to get 12 volts.

When I hooked up my new 48 volt to 12 volt convertor I knew the green was my original positive but did not understand the shared black negative wiring. After searching on this site there is a nice write up about just routing a new black wire back to to the original negative. In the end I decided it would be cleaner to buy a new fuse box and negative bus from AutoZone and went ahead and just redid the entire 12 volt side of the cart.

good luck with your conversion
Lowliner06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo, lithium, roypow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium