lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
roadfire
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 club car charging issue?

Hello I ahave a 1982 club car 36v.Brand new batteries total voltage is 36.4v
Brand new cables between all batteries. original cables from charger receptacle and battery.
I have two different chargers and both react the same. Plug in charger and amp gauge does not move slight humming comes from chargers. one charger plugged into ac and not the cart reads 5v other reads 2v.
Is this all normal? I don't want to drive the cart and run the batteries too low to charge but I do want to make sure the charger is working correctly.
I am not sure of the type of charger as they are at my camp and I am at home. Just want to make sure I have all information with me when I go there.
Thank you
roadfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 club car charging issue?

Your charger is not working. Test the pack voltage at the charger receptacle on the cart. Make sure there is 36v there too... if not check big fuse on the backside
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
roadfire
Not Yet Wild

I have not chevked voltage at receptacle yet, however I have checked for the fuse and can find no fuses of any kind or shape. is it part of receptacle or a seperate wire I saw nothing when I was looking for it. Also same indication with two chargers. One of them is a club car brand charger.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

there is a BIG glass fuse on the backside of the receptacle.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

DID YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE CHANGING BATTERYS AND CABLES? Dont drive cart with new batterys at 36.4 volts as this is only about 45% ChARGED as you will shorten life and performance considerable? Are you sure batterys and cables are hooked up correctly? One battery or cable wrong will cause this kind of problem. Check stickies for "Club Car 36V/48V battery wiring" to confirm.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
roadfire
Not Yet Wild

Isnt the voltage correct for a 36v system? I have rechecked cables according to the diagrams they are correct. I am not sure if this problem existed or not. Wife and family only use it and possibly charger wasnt working and replace batteries for nothing other than age.
I did not see any glass or other fuses on the receptacle. just two small terminals and maybe one oyher one.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfire View Post
Isnt the voltage correct for a 36v system? I have rechecked cables according to the diagrams they are correct. I am not sure if this problem existed or not. Wife and family only use it and possibly charger wasnt working and replace batteries for nothing other than age.
I did not see any glass or other fuses on the receptacle. just two small terminals and maybe one oyher one.
Believe me there is a fuse between the 2 small terminals
Old 11-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
roadfire
Not Yet Wild

OK i checked the voltage at the receptacle on the outside where it plugs in I get 37.17 about the same as on the batteries. I pulled receptacle apart, there is no fuse I wouldn't think this matters as I do have voltage there. I checked and everything I find says fuses on 1985 and up mine is a 1982 model.
Since I have voltage there I am leaning towards the first suggestion that my charger is bad, even though I tried two different ones. I am taking charger into golf cart repair today and will see if anything comes of that.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
roadfire
Not Yet Wild

Well I bought a new charger and everything works great now,I now have new charger new batteries and new cables. Fully charged I drove for about 30 minutes or so with myself and three kids on small hills and streets and it ran great and the cables were cool to the touch, they are 2 gauge welding cable, BTW. Now my wife can ride to her hearts content and I don't have to worry about anything catching fire. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car