lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Yamaha G14 engine wanted

See if this link works for adjusting the valves. Try this first, I don't think I've ever brought any engine home that the valves were "right".

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...ml#post1614828

No, the head I used in those pictures did NOT come out of my cart. It was pretty nasty, it came with another cart, in a "bucket of engine" that I never even attempted to put back together. I think I sold that head on ebay for like $20 for parts.

To check compression is easy. You'll need a compression tester, you can "borrow" one from Autozone, o'reilly, advance... pretty much any auto parts store. You remove the spark plug, thread the compression tester in the spark plug hole, hold the carb throttle all the way open and step on the gas. Usually with in 4 or 5 revolutions it's about as high as it's going to get, you'll see the meter jump and eventually stay in pretty much the same spot. Good compression on one of these is 160+psi

So you're saying when you pull the choke it gets better? or worse?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

Ok great! That sounds easy enough. I’ll pick one up tomorrow and test the compression. Thanks! As for the choke, it brought the rpms down to a smooth idle. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad since it doesn’t run like my gator. Meaning, there’s no sound from the motor until I press the pedal.
Thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

That's because it doesn't run until you press the pedal :)

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by half the power that it should have?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

I have a used G16 motor that I would sell for $500
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #15
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinner View Post
****UPDATE**** So I ended up finding a G2 engine. Everything went well on my first engine swap. It turns over and starts! The problem is that I’m only getting about half the power. I replaced the carb, fuel lines, fuel filters, air filter and battery. My question is, could it be the igniter? That harness as well as the stater harness did not match. As of right now, I am running a G14 igniter with a G2 engine.
Might want to read the "sticky" about swapping G2 thru G14 engines. It has to do with the ignition components.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

CP241 I’m probably saying it wrong. My only reference is my gator lol so with that said, the primary and secondary clutch on the gator (one widens when the other closes with the belt as you go faster). On the Yamaha, it widens/closes only about half way when pressing the gas pedal all the way down. I really hope I’m making sense haha.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

Smallblock450 so I just read your sticky. Now I’m understanding that my engine is out of timing. Makes perfect sense. My question though, if I put a G2 engine into a G14 cart, what exactly do I need to swap from the G2 cart to my G14 cart? The igniter harness is different and not sure how to wire that in.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You would just change the flywheel and pickup coil off your old engine onto your new one, no new wiring harness or ignitor needed. Do Not try to pull the flywheel with a 2 or 3 jaw puller from the outside diameter, it will break the flywheel every time.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech I’ve been banging on this flywheel for an hour now with a rubber mallet. Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #20
Thinner
Not Yet Wild

I got it off!! I will reply once the flywheel and coil are installed to let you know if it worked.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha