lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #1
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default MCOR-4 Question

Hello all,

Seven months ago, I converted my V-glide control to an MCOR-4. I was very happy with the upgrade.

However, after a month or so I noticed an occasional loss of power while driving with the pedal floored, especially after hitting a bump in the road. This would reset itself within 1 or 2 seconds without lifting my foot.

It seems to be doing it more frequently now, but I noticed if I only push the pedal partially instead of to the floor, the loss of power does not occur as often. I still get my top speed of 13-14 mph at that point. It never occurs if driving at mid-speed ranges.

At first I thought the internal micro switch was going bad, so I got a new MCOR-4. I have not installed it yet as I wanted to experiment with the old one.

I am now thinking that the full pedal travel might be causing the switch contact to over travel. Has this ever been identified as a problem with the MCOR?

I installed a temporary pedal stop to prevent flooring it and the problem seems to have gone away. My top speed is the same as when floored.

Thanks for any input on this issue.
Tom
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: MCOR-4 Question

Crawl up under it and adjust your linkages until you get it correct. I have never over traveled one, but I sure have had linkages out of adjustment and could not get the cart to run correctly until I got it corrected.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I checked the linkage several times. I think the over travel was the issue though. I drove it 4 miles today with only one blip.

This linkage kit was a sort of sloppy where it connects to the accelerator. I hope I got it resolved permanently with the accelerator travel stop. Time will tell I guess!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Sounds good!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

The problem did return but very intermittently. I ohmed the MCOR switch contact and found an occasional high resistance when the go pedal was pushed.

I could get the switch to open by tapping on the MCOR also. So I installed the new MCOR. That side of the problem is solved.

However, I still got the momentary loss of power until I did an OBC reset. The last two 4 mile rides were uneventful.

Can the OBC internal contact that opens the solenoid circuit while charging cause this loss of power occasionally? I have not jumpered the yellow at the solenoid to B- yet.

Also, can the OBC store any of these power fluctuations during operation that may cause this, which an OBC reset would cure?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I've seen them over-rotate before. That is definitely repairable by adjusting the pedal linkage. The OBC has nothing to do with the loss of power. The only thing the OBC does is control the charger and provide a negative to the solenoid coil. It will either work or not work. It won't affect the power or speed of the car. Your power fluctuations are coming from somewhere else. I've seen several series cars with factory controllers that will lose power when the controller gets warm. Once they cool off they're fine. This may be your issue.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Dave. I took another 4 mile today and it did it twice. It is not like what happens if you turn the key switch off or the FNR switch to neutral.

In fact, it is different than when the switch in the MCOR was opening when I hit a bump. That was a quiet loss of power.

This is louder and makes a sort of grinding sound momentarily then goes back to normal. It has done since I purchased the cart and almost everything except the controller, OBC and motor has been changed.

When it happens, I notice the dash voltmeter drops to around 46 volts momentarily. Normally it never goes below 48.0 volts on a normal full speed ride on level ground. It may drop to 45.x on a rapid takeoff.

I suspected motor brushes for a while. Now I just don't know. It is annoying but at least has never left me stranded!

BTW, the cart is a A9927, stock except for MCOR4 to replace the V-Glide.

Scotty has quoted an XCT controller and IQ wiring harness, but I'm not sure I want to do it until this issue is resolved. My cart is a Regen 2 and the harness looks like a real project FOR ME to replace.

Last edited by Tom47; 10-16-2017 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Add Info
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

That should fix you up. The 1999 model car is easy to convert because it already has a Tow/Run switch, the correct OBC, and a mounting panel for the controller.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

That's encouraging. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #10
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tom47,
Since David Hicks, Revolution Golf Cars, has been helping you with diagnosis on your car, you might want to give him a chance to quote your XCT controller and harness.

He is also local in Augusta GA. I would think shipping might be cheaper as well.

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car