lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 93 Club Car VGlide Resistor Coil Question

Not real familiar with these, but I'm trying to fix it and have a few questions.

The folks that purchased this cart bought it and it "ran fine". Took it to an amateur up the road to have it painted and when they got it back, it didn't run.

So far, I've checked the key switch...good.
Checked microswitch at F/R ....good
Checked microswitch in V-glide....good
Checked battery pack voltage....good
When pedal pressed, solenoid clicks.

Going through the trouble shooting guide in the manual step by step, but had it for the night!

This is the style that has the resistor coils. I noticed a ton of over-spray on the coils. Could this be causing an issue?

I also noticed that on the bottom of the vglide (POT type), the white wire coming from the solenoid is connected to a bolt on the v glide that goes to the first resistor in the line. The connection looks pretty rough.

Haven't gotten to testing the vglide steps. Was just wondering if the over-spray could be causing the issue.

This thing looks like a Frankenstein! It has wires going everywhere that are disconnected (but I traced most of them and I think its old accessory stuff)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
Crawler487
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 93 Club Car VGlide Resistor Coil Question

I'm not quite sure what your issue is but I can tell you that over spray on the coils would not cause the cart to stop running. Also make sure you are getting power into and out of the solenoid on the main terminals solenoids can click but not be working properly. One time I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be a wire pulled out of the connector on the motor.
Crawler487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply!

I actually got the thing running....but I have another issue.

Thankfully, I had the cart up on jacks and had gone through most of the troubleshooting steps in the manual. At a last shot, I pulled the vglide out and was looking at the piece that the accelerator moves (everything still connected). I had read a post that said the terminals must be at about 75% contact in the POT (?). I noticed the back side wasn't seated properly so I pushed on it and the the thing took off! Thank goodness for jacks!

But I couldn't get it to stop! I moved the glide back down to the bottom position and it kept on running (not at full speed, but I couldn't stop the tires with my foot). I turned the key off and still ran! I remember the customer telling me that in order to make sure it was "off" she had to move the F/R arm to neutral. So I did that, sparks flew from the back of the F/R switch and it stopped. If I shifted it back to Forward, sparks would fly and it would start going. Keep in mind, the vglide arm was at the bottom position as if the accelerator was not being pushed (I have the accelerator disconnected from the vglide and moving it manually).

Had to leave for a meeting, so I disconnected the battery so it wouldn't run off during the night!

So I have two issues. One being that the vglide is not properly seated.....and why won't it stop when the accelerator is not pressed?

Ideas?????
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Also...one more question. I want to check that the motor is wired properly, but the motor has no labels on it (A1, A2, S1, S2). The terminals look like the attachment, but I wish this diagram had color codes on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vglide.jpg (187.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The most likely issue is the solenoid contacts are welded.

Otherwise the key switch, vglide microswitch and FNR microswitch would have to be bad.

As soon as the solenoid engages, there is current flowing thru the system as the resistor coils are always in series with the motor.

The microswitch in the FNR disables the solenoid so you don't get sparks when changing from neutral to forward or reverse.

If the guy painting did not know about the previous issue, and the cart was left in gear, there would have been current flowing through that bottom connector for an extended period of time.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

What Sergio said, plus here's a color coded diagram.

Oh, and take a small wire brush and scrub around the area beside the base of all the terminals on the motor, the terminal designations are stamped there. Sometimes hard to see and hard to read, but they're there.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thank you! I'll check it out this evening and let you know what I find!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Sergio,

I think the solenoid is an issue as well as the pad on the vglide arm. From what I've found out, you can adjust the pad to tilt the pad on the top and bottom. Mine is out of wack left to right.

The solenoid seemed to work fine as long as the pads were not making contact. I checked all micro-switches and they ohm'd out fine. I could shift the F/R and hear the solenoid click on and off. But once the vglide arm made full contact, It stayed on and wouldn't cut off. May be getting back feed from vglide causing it to stick or weld together.

I'm going to replace the arm pad and the solenoid. In addition, the white wire on the bottom of the vglide that comes from the solenoid to the vglide, then from vglide to resistors looks to be in pretty bad shape. Going to disconnect it and clean it up. I think (hope) that fixes all the problems.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

93....thanks for color diagram. Helps a bunch! I used some steel wool to try and find labels, but I guess I'll move to a brush an try to locate them.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
Sergio,

I think the solenoid is an issue as well as the pad on the vglide arm. From what I've found out, you can adjust the pad to tilt the pad on the top and bottom. Mine is out of wack left to right.

The solenoid seemed to work fine as long as the pads were not making contact. I checked all micro-switches and they ohm'd out fine. I could shift the F/R and hear the solenoid click on and off. But once the vglide arm made full contact, It stayed on and wouldn't cut off. May be getting back feed from vglide causing it to stick or weld together.

I'm going to replace the arm pad and the solenoid. In addition, the white wire on the bottom of the vglide that comes from the solenoid to the vglide, then from vglide to resistors looks to be in pretty bad shape. Going to disconnect it and clean it up. I think (hope) that fixes all the problems.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

93....thanks for color diagram. Helps a bunch! I used some steel wool to try and find labels, but I guess I'll move to a brush an try to locate them.

Thanks for all the replies.
Keep us posted. The stud designations are stamped on the motor, so over the years the stampings fill with crud and it's near impossible to see them. On yours with the studs all lined up vertically, the stampings should be in line with the stud and on the left as you look at the motor, between the end of it and the base of the studs IIRC.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the solenoid is working -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid 09-14jpg.jpg (235.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1980s-CC-motor-web.jpg (38.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car