lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
N.SHIFT
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help installing battery meter

Ok. I purchased a simple battery meter that lights up and gauge moves from “f” to “e”. Nothing fancy. I understand I should run a red wire from main battery and black wire from other main battery post to the meter. Then I’m suppose to find the wire off the key switch that only shows 48 volts when key is on. This is where my issues begin. I have a 2 prong ignition switch. One prong shows 48 plus volts with key off. The other wire shows 15 volts with key off and 48 plus volts with key on. I can’t use either of those wires because my battery meter will stay on constantly. Is the issue I need at least a 3 prong ignition switch or is there a wire elsewhere that I can use that only has power with key on? My golf cart is a 2014 precedent 48 volt and there are several spare wires not in use under the dash. Issue is, all the “hot wires” either show 48 volt with key off or 15 volts with key off then 48 volts with key on. What am I missing? Thanks it advance
N.SHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
GMTX012
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Need help installing battery meter

I used 2 extra hot wires behind the dash that disable when the cart is in the TOW position. When not in use I just switch to TOW so my meter doesn't display. Or you could get the 3 position ignition switch but from my understanding that will cause your voltage to read off by up to .5 volts. I guess with your E to F meter it wouldn't matter too much as you are not getting an exact numerical reading anyway.
GMTX012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
N.SHIFT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTX012 View Post
I used 2 extra hot wires behind the dash that disable when the cart is in the TOW position. When not in use I just switch to TOW so my meter doesn't display. Or you could get the 3 position ignition switch but from my understanding that will cause your voltage to read off by up to .5 volts. I guess with your E to F meter it wouldn't matter too much as you are not getting an exact numerical reading anyway.
So really no good way to hook up a volt meter from factory setup huh? I would have thought there would be a “hot wire” somewhere when only the key on. I might try the 3 prong switch then. Ty
Old 06-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The blue wire is the correct wire on the key switch.

It only has power when the key Switch is ON.

If yours has voltage with the key OFF, and that voltage remains after the key has been OFF for a few minutes, that is usually caused by an incorrectly wired 16v->12v reducer.

You should also have a Red wire (positive) and a Black/Yellow wire (negative) behind the dash for your meter connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
GMTX012
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You should also have a Red wire (positive) and a Black/Yellow wire (negative) behind the dash for your meter connection.
Do these wires only display while the ignition is on Sergio? The 2 I used only turn off in TOW mode. I would also like my meter to turn off while ignition is in off position but I am also looking for an accurate reading. Scottyb's digital meters, when hooked to the ignition switch, can be off by .5 volts, the wires I used are only off by .05 volts when measured at the pack vs what the meter displays. However I have to flip to TOW to turn it off, which is not a huge deal for a more accurate reading.
GMTX012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
N.SHIFT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The blue wire is the correct wire on the key switch.

It only has power when the key Switch is ON.

If yours has voltage with the key OFF, and that voltage remains after the key has been OFF for a few minutes, that is usually caused by an incorrectly wired 16v->12v reducer.

The blue wire on back of the ignition switch is the wire that has 15 volts with key off. I honestly haven’t checked it to see if it remains at 15 volts. How do I fix this issue if the low volt remains? Would a 3 prong switch fix this issue? As long as the volt meter is close I’m good.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does your meter have 2 or 3 wires?

In either case the Blue wire on the key switch is the correct wire for "switched" power.

Do you have any wires, other than the larger cables, connected to any battery post?

You may have a small voltage drop, usually around 0.1v at the dash, but the good news is that You pack would have a higher voltage than indicated.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
N.SHIFT
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Does your meter have 2 or 3 wires?

In either case the Blue wire on the key switch is the correct wire for "switched" power.

Do you have any wires, other than the larger cables, connected to any battery post?

You may have a small voltage drop, usually around 0.1v at the dash, but the good news is that You pack would have a higher voltage than indicated.
my ignition switch has 2 wires. Blue and something else. My blue wire reads 15 volts key off and 48 plus key on. Therefore, my battery meter will remain lit all the time. No good! I was hoping a 3 prong switch would solve this but if I got to use the blue wire regardless what ignition switch I have, the problem will remain
Old 06-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.SHIFT View Post
my ignition switch has 2 wires. Blue and something else. My blue wire reads 15 volts key off and 48 plus key on. Therefore, my battery meter will remain lit all the time . No good! I was hoping a 3 prong switch would solve this but if I got to use the blue wire regardless what ignition switch I have, the problem will remain
"Will remain" or "Does remain"?

I am trying to explain the voltage You read is not normal, it could be caused by a capacitor on the switched side of the key switch, which means the voltage will go OFF after a few seconds or you have a wiring problem that could cause a discharge.

If You have a chance to answer the other questions we can try to help you find out which is the issue, if any, with your cart key switch wiring.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
N.SHIFT
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=Sergio;1511002]Does your meter have 2 or 3 wires?

You may have a small voltage drop, usually around 0.1v at the dash, but the good news is that You pack would have a higher voltage .

I had headlight installed. They installed them off a toggle switch which can be turned on with out the key. So I’m assuming the wires are ran straight from batteries or from constant hot and ground under dash. I haven’t chased those down yet. No other wires except the big cables that suppose to be there. My battery meter is setup for 3 wires. 2 for battery power and a place for switch wire. I’m going to check if the 15 volt drops off the blue wire after sitting for few minutes but I’m not at the cart right now. This cart is factory. No mods have been done except the back up noise maker unhooked and the battery light on dash unhooked. No idea why but it is and I left it alone.
Are these carts suppose to have more then a 2 prong key switch? Or do they come standard with a 2 prong switch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car