lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Valve adjustment Q

I have a 2000 workhorse. We adjusted the valves and now we have tappet noise and seems like a heat problem...Motor was running good. 3 out of the 4 valves did not have any clearance to start with. I am no stranger to valve adjustments so I am alittle confused...My friend and helper said both pistons come up at the same time and all valves are closed at once. We verified this with a srewdriver standing in each sparkplug hole. This is where we did our adjustment of all 4 valves. Is this right? I am not familiar with this engine...Ruredy? Why am I getting a hot engine and louder than normal tappet noise? I see in your stickie tutorial you do not say all valves are closed for adjustment at once? Also....the valve springs were colapsable with one finger? This could be my problem. Thanks for any help!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Valve adjustment Q

While both piston do come up at the same time the cam opens the valves so the engine cycles are 180deg in each cylinder. meaning that while one cylinder is in a compression stroke the other cylinder is on an exhaust stroke. I dont think all the valves close completely at one point, never really though about it because it's not the correct to set the valves. It's simple enough to turn the clutch and make sure the cam lobe on the rocker your adjusting is facing down. normaly only the intake valves go out of adjustment so if three were tight, I would bet that one was riding high on the cam lobe when you adjusted it. On adjusting, make sure lobe is facing down, I always turn the adjuster till it comes in contact with the valve then back it up 1/4 of a turn and lock it down. Valve springs are very soft, weak, whatever you want to call it, they don't need to be very stiff due to the limited rpms the engine turns.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

THank you Jon, That is what I suspected
Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can you explain how an incorrect valve adjustment can result in the engine getting hotter than normal? Thank you in ADVANCE!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Just guessing here cause I don't know which valves on your engine are incorrectly adjusted but......By not letting all the exhaust out of the engine for one or not taking in enough fuel mix (ie: running lean) either way it'll also makes the engine work harder to overcome that problem.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Update.. Made the adjustments at the correct position this early morning and the cart runs beter than ever.....thanks for your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO