lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Club Car Graziano type outer axle bearing replacement

Kind of a follow up thread to a previous one I started that was less specific.. I identified the rear axle in my 99 electric CC DS as the "G" (Graziano) version. Just went off a CC service manual that says in the G axle, the bolts that hold the case halves together have the bolt heads facing the passenger side; screw in toward driver side. TahoeDawgZ71 helped me with the part number for the outer axle bearings that are pressed on to be a 6205rs. The "rs" just means rubber seal. Here is a link that differentiates different configurations of the same size bearing if anybody cares. http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m...-25x52x15.html

My intent is to replace just the bearings since the whole axle/bearing assembly is so expensive. I'm hoping folks can chime in with any tips that will help to make the process easier. I'm assuming there is a short length of the axle shaft that has a larger diameter surface that the bearing presses on to and that it should just have to be pressed off an inch or so before it can just be slid off the rest of the axle. What's the best method to remove the old bearing? Just a shop press? Is the oil seal located toward the outer side of the axles near the bearing or near the chunk like an automotive axle, causing the need to remove the axle tubes?Any tips are greatly appreciated.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club Car Graziano type outer axle bearing replacement

Bump for input please..
Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

When i pulled my axles for disc brake install there was only one bearing near the hub. To get it off i would have to use a press and since i dont have one it would be ingenuity press. Its a 2000ds.
find a shop to do it for you.
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Ok. I have one of those small $100 presses like you can get from harbor freight. I'll give it a whirl and if not, I'll take your advise about a local shop.

Do you remember if the axle seal was located on the axle shaft near the outer bearing or inside toward the gear case?
Old 12-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

The oil seal is near the brake drum side of the axle. Most probably, you will pull the axle out completely, and the seal will still be in the tube. Then it is easy to remove.

My issue has always been the axle bushings, that ride next to the bearing. They are not available anywhere, so don't cut one off!

Tahoedawg gets them out with no problem, but i always struggle with the bushings .
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

I didnt see anything towards the gear box. I only had one bearing near the hub. Maybe it was in the tube itself. I remember when i put axle back in i had to guide and twist to install in gear box. Nothing internal to guide it.
you should contact tahoedawg..revolution carts and get his advice and parts if needed like smokey is saying.
hopefully he sees this thread and chimes in
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
The oil seal is near the brake drum side of the axle. Most probably, you will pull the axle out completely, and the seal will still be in the tube. Then it is easy to remove.

My issue has always been the axle bushings, that ride next to the bearing. They are not available anywhere, so don't cut one off!

Tahoedawg gets them out with no problem, but i always struggle with the bushings .
Smokey..My memory may fail me but those bushings you're referring to... Aren't they only in the "K" axles? Mine is a G axle. Just thought I read somewhere that one has that bushing and the other does not?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Yeah, Tahoedawg hooked me up with the parts number for the bearings. Seems he had a lot of experience with it.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

According to a drawing of the rear end the seals should be directly behind the bearings....

If you've got even a small shop press you should be able to get the bearings off with little effort. They are only very mild press fit.

As to installing them make it easy on yourself and the bearings too by warming them up... They don't need to be HOT by any means but if you warm up the inner race with the likes of a propane torch for 15 to 30 seconds you will be all but guaranteed that you will then be able to DROP them right into the shaft all the while still likely picking them up with a bare hand. We do this all the time even with rubber sealed bearings and there is no damage to the seals to speak of....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Good idea. I did that with the ring gear in a 14 bolt and it fell right on the carrier. I actually put it in the oven and put the carrier in the freezer. Got the bolts finger tight then when everything came back to room temperature it was as if the ring gear was welded on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car