lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
Wturnage29
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car Graziano transaxle

I have a noise coming from the rear end of my stealth nighthawk 4x4, it has a club car graziano rear end. I am getting a grinding type of noise when I turn either wheel by hand and also when I press the gas pedal I can hear the same noise. I’m guess it’s a bearing and I was planning to start with the axle bearings. Are there any trouble shooting tips anyone could give me to better determine where the noise may be coming from, as in possible motor or transmission bearing? I tried changing my gear oil so that’s fresh, I also removed my brakes to make sure it wasn’t that. Thanks in advance
Wturnage29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club car Graziano transaxle

Check the motor bearing and check the input splines for wear.
If that motor has the solid spline coupler there’s a motor bumper kit that will take up slack in the splines and fix the noise. It comes with a new bearing.

Check for the noise in the differential with the motor removed from the axle.
IIRC parts for the graziano axles are no longer available, so if there is gear damage in the differential you will need to replace the entire axle.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

IIRC parts for the graziano axles are no longer available, so if there is gear damage in the differential you will need to replace the entire axle.[/QUOTE]

If it's only a bearing, can he not replace it? Or are the bearings THAT specific?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Bearings in almost everything are industry standard. Match the number up and you can get those anywhere.
Gears on the other hand... usually proprietary.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Wturnage29
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for getting back to me. Fairtax4me, I have a few questions. The input splines you mentioned, is that part of the motor or the axles? Could you explain to me also what a solid spline coupler is?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Bearings in almost everything are industry standard. Match the number up and you can get those anywhere.
Gears on the other hand... usually proprietary.
Sorry, I didn't see [DUHHH] the word gears when I read it last night. Your answer makes sense with it included.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Wturnage29
Not Yet Wild

Fairtax4me, is the motor number kit the same thing as the motor centering kit I’ve seen mentioned on here? Also I guess I should have been more specific about my motor in my original post but there are splines on both ends of the motor, on one end the spline goes into the transmission or gear case (not sure what it’s actually called) and the other spline has a chain sprocket connected to it and the chain on it goes to another sprocket which connects to a right angle gearbox that is connected to a drive shaft that goes to the front differential. Would the motor bumper kit still help me with this setup? How do I determine wether or not the number kit is needed or not?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You said you have a chain. There was a thread a while back about a noise from a rear end, turned out to be the chain was rubbing the chain guard. Don't know if this applies to your cart or not, just thought I would bring it up just in case.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
Wturnage29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
You said you have a chain. There was a thread a while back about a noise from a rear end, turned out to be the chain was rubbing the chain guard. Don't know if this applies to your cart or not, just thought I would bring it up just in case.
Yes sir thank you. I saw that thread also, my chain was loose so I tightened it but the noise is still there. I’m thinking it’s either coming from the motor somewhere or the axle bearings. I’d definitely be willing to install the motor bumper kit or anything else I need to do I’m just not completely sure what I should be looking for to see if I need it or not, or wether it will work with my style of motor. But please by all means keep making suggestions, all help is appreciated!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yes, The motor centering kit is the one I mentioned earlier. It fits between the motor spline coupler and the transaxle input shaft to tighten the slack between the motor and transaxle input shaft when the splines are worn from rust/age. Worn splines can cause a grinding or chatter noise, usually when coasting or decelerating.

The spline coupler is on the open side of the motor, it fits onto the input shaft of the transaxle. The splines on the input shaft can wear and cause noise. The splines in the coupler can wear and cause noise as well. The centering kit from Club car only fits 10 spline motors, so count the number of splines in the coupler, or on the trans input shaft.
The motor bearing included in the kit may be different from yours since you have a PTO gear on the end of the motor. You would have to remove the sprocket and motor/ brush end housing and check the bearing number to see if it matches. No biggie if it doesn’t match, as motor bearings can usually be bought for about $15 if it needs one. Assuming that the splines are worn, and the centering kit is even needed. If the splines are not worn and the motor bearing is smooth and doesn’t make any noise, then it probably doesn’t need the kit.

Check the axle for noise after removing the motor. If it still makes the same noise with no motor, problem is in the axle and will need to be taken apart to determine the source of the noise.

The best way to rule out chain noise, remove the chain.

Tags
rear end noise
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car