lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Couple voltage and battery questions

09 precedent with 2014 batteries... I've had this cart for about 6 months and never fully knew the battery life status. I installed a digital voltage meter so I can watch my voltage but I'm not really sure what I should be seeing while charging, while unplugged just off the charger, while driving, and while at rest (stop sign or stop lights). I took it for a drive last weekend and we started at 48V but by a mile or so I was mid 40s down to low 40s within 3 miles. I've watched the charger bring the voltage up to 56v then the charger kicks off and the voltage drops fairly quickly. This morning, after being on the charger for at least 8hrs, the meter is showing 49.9v. When is the charger supposed to kick on, at what voltage? I've been out here for an hour and it's not kicked on and the voltage has maintained the 49.9v. When I unplug the charger it holds 49.9v. Took it for a test drive and watched the voltage drop down to 42v when accelerating from a stop and climb up to a steady 44v and maintain 44v while driving on a flat road. When I coast it goes to 47-48.5v. At rest or stop sign it goes back up to 48.9v.
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Couple voltage and battery questions

If it is a powerdrive charger it will not cut back on until it is been unplugged and replugged (used) or a 15 day maintenance cycle occurs.

~12 hours after charging, you need 50.9x volts to be fully charged. At 49.9 volts you are only at 80% charged. And those are 4 year old batteries without a known maintenance history....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

something to look at

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnnie_BChart.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

To make it easier to remember you need to round them numbers off. No need for all that accuracy. At approx 51 your at 100%. For each half volt drop you are down 10%. So when you are at 47.5v you need to head to the charger because you're at 50% charge. Don't take/trust any reading until your voltage has settled for at least one minute after you have taken your foot off the throttle.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
-snip-
So when you are at 47.5v you need to head to the charger because you're at 50% charge.
I think you meant to say 48.5 vdc....

47.5 = 34%
Old 06-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I stand corrected 48.5v.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
If it is a powerdrive charger it will not cut back on until it is been unplugged and replugged (used) or a 15 day maintenance cycle occurs.

~12 hours after charging, you need 50.9x volts to be fully charged. At 49.9 volts you are only at 80% charged. And those are 4 year old batteries without a known maintenance history....
12 hrs, is that unplugged 12 hrs? 12hrs without being used?

Safe to assume these batteries are shot?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bospider01 View Post
12 hrs, is that unplugged 12 hrs? 12hrs without being used?

Safe to assume these batteries are shot?
That would be after the charger shuts off automatically (charge completes), then ~12 hours later you should have 50.9 volts on the pack.

Yes, we can assume the batteries are shot, but this will tell you for sure....

I would not unplug the cord until I went to ride it (or to do an equalization charge.)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well alrighty then. You guys usually recommend the u.s. batteries and Trojan as the best longest lasting batteries correct? Y'all have an online store that seems to giving you guys the best price or do y'all usually get yours local?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

It is usually location specific because of the weight and acid content. I would call US and Trojan or check their site for local distributors and call all of then around. You would be surprised how much price variation there is....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car