lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
rino
Not Yet Wild

Default Generac propane LP conversion

Ok, guys, I am starting to gather parts for when I am ready. I have pulled the steel intake out, and the air cleaner box. I have purchased an intake from a Horizontal engine here locally, however I think I would rather have a Vertical engine intake if it will fit (if anyone has one or knows where I can find a good used one let me know. I keep on eye on E-bay and I am going to go to my local Dixie Chopper dealer to see if they have any old ones. I may want to mount the carb. toward the flywheel with a 90 degree adapter.

Questions for those who have done it.

My engine did not have a starter on it. Is there any special starter I should look for, is a high torque starter required? What brand, model starter should I get or should I go with a stock starter.

What set up have you all used for the charging system. I am thinking of possibly making a mount on the fly wheel side with a stub shaft bolted to the flywheel and a pulley on it. I would like to get an easy to find, small, car type alternator, something small.

What RPM range will I expect from the motor? Do I need to go into it and remove the governor, the local generator shop said to wire it back, so it is always open. Do I need a rev. limiter?

Is there anything else you can think of that I should do to this motor, I am going to worry about the shaft later after I start to mount it. I do have the old generator shaft if I need it.

I am new to this so thanks in advance for any information.
rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Generac propane LP conversion

Do a Search for Genny or Generac theres several post on this with tons of reading. If you still have any questions let us know.
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
rino
Not Yet Wild

Lurch:

I have read everything that comes up with a search under Generac. It seems you, Sassycat and Kinion have gone through it, there may be one other I forgot.

I did not see much about the governor, or what the different builds RPM's were.

I did see where it was covered about using a car altinator but have not found which one was used or if after one was used a better or smaller one was later found that would have worked better.

I think I have located a stock starter, which I guess will work fine.

I have downloaded the repair manual, is there a parts manual as well and if so does anyone have a link to it.

thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I haven't had mine running yet so I can't help on the governor but the RPM's don't go over 4K. Alt. should be GM single wire and it will work running backwards ok if mounted on the clutch side. All I have is the stock starter.
I bought my alum. intake and adapter from Mike with the mud boat place that was talked about in the other post. Going from L/P to gas the compression ratio will be about 10 to 1 so make sure and use 91 or 93 octane gas to keep it from spark knocking. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
rino
Not Yet Wild

thanks Lurch, The Governor is my biggest question. I notice from one post, they said their motor did not have a governor, mine does, just wondered what it would turn with removing it or wiring it up so it does not operate.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Most likely it would go till it blows. You would need to upgrade the internals to turn more than 4K very long.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Depending on the generator,. the govener was built into the electronics of the generator, Thats the way mine is . There was no mechanic internal gov in my engine. I think I have a vertical intake if you don't have any luck finding one, Probably about 30 bucks shipped
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
rino
Not Yet Wild

Rokcrlr:

My engine is internally governed, the rod sticks out of the block. I am interested in the vertical intake if it will fit my engine. I have not had any luck finding one. I will send you a PM.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!