lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Default Diode and Lithium

New 48v lithium install and a bit confused on the diode and if it’s still necessary, please advise
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Diode and Lithium

Not much info here - it's really whether the controller has the diode internal but I would definitely go with the diode. Band goes toward positive on the solenoid small terminals. The other thing in that bag is the "precharge resistor" . You need to look at your controller specs to see if you need that.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yes, you need the diode and the resistor.
Diode on the small terminals. Stripe towards the positive wire.
Resistor on the large terminals.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Thank you guys, the older smaller sized solenoid did not have these and when I bought this new one it was an option that I purchased.

I got in a little over my head ripping things apart like always, electrical is one of my weakest parts so I am learning and going slow.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #5
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The manual for the Curtis 1234SE indicates that the controller has a selectable Precharge Feature built into it. If the precharge feature is turned on, according to the manual "Precharge provides a limited current charge of the controller’s internal capacitor bank before the main contactor is closed. This decreases the arcing that would otherwise occur when the contactor is closed with the capacitor bank discharged."

If the precharge feature is selected, I would "think" that an external precharge resistor mounted on the solenoid (main contactor) would NOT be required ... or to put it more strongly ... should NOT be installed. You might want to check with Curtis for their confirmation.

In addition, the electrical diagram in the Curis 1234SE manual does NOT show an external precharge resistor (see manual attached).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1234_36_38 Manual Rev Feb 09.pdf (2.32 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #6
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
The manual for the Curtis 1234SE indicates that the controller has a selectable Precharge Feature built into it. If the precharge feature is turned on, according to the manual "Precharge provides a limited current charge of the controller’s internal capacitor bank before the main contactor is closed. This decreases the arcing that would otherwise occur when the contactor is closed with the capacitor bank discharged."

If the precharge feature is selected, I would "think" that an external precharge resistor mounted on the solenoid (main contactor) would NOT be required ... or to put it more strongly ... should NOT be installed. You might want to check with Curtis for their confirmation.

In addition, the electrical diagram in the Curis 1234SE manual does NOT show an external precharge resistor (see manual attached).
Thank you for the PDF, its pretty much over my head, I have a local guy that can program it but more importantly find out how its set up now. This motor and controller on led acid would do 30 no problem with more in the tank but the controller was throttled back to 30 as you can feel it.

The things that worries me the most is the actually harness that is in there seems like a bunch of modifications have been done to it, the old bucket harness that was in there is junk and is getting replaced with a new one for the light kit included with the new body change. I just wonder if I should consider a new factory harness rather than try and figure out this hacked together one.

These projects seem to always start simple and turn into a total rebuild
Old 10-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

A new harness is pretty cheap and it sounds like yu are working in that direction anyway. I think I would just make the jump now and go for it :)
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #8
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
A new harness is pretty cheap and it sounds like yu are working in that direction anyway. I think I would just make the jump now and go for it :)
Yeah just trying to figure out which one is a good fit for me I need to take some pictures I guess, been looking at this sponsor at his offerings

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/wiring-harnesses
Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the place to be! Best is to give David a call directly; he will walk you through what you need and get you set up right the first time
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Check with David, he might be able to get the right harness, but it also might be on back-order.
Did that controller have an adapter to plug into the cart harness?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car