lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2021, 06:52 AM   #1
SouthernFlyed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Adding 12v LifePo4 to 36v Drop In

1997 36v TXT DCS with upgrade to lithium drop in. New solenoid, B2 motor, Navitas 600 controller, 2ga wiring (except 4ga on drop in batteries but may switch to 2ga), 36v charger, 4" lift and 20" tires.

Seeing folks happy with this on both the speed and torque, but if need, the company selling the drop in said another 12v battery can be added to the drop in within a year and with my 36v project would become a 48v finished product with the addition of a 48v charger.

This'll be a Sporting Clays cart and grandaughter neighborhood limo, so speed is not on my front burner, but it along with torque for moderate hills can be adjusted on the Navitas controller with On The Fly.

Am I thinking right that if not satisfied all I need is the battery charger upgrade to 48v and a matching 12v battery (same brand as the original drop in package)???

Thanks!!!
SouthernFlyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
MaximumOverdrive
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding 12v LifePo4 to 36v Drop In

Sounds correct, but I'm not an expert.
MaximumOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi SouthernFlyed,

12v drop-ins are never a good idea, but since you’ve already gone down this route then what you are proposing will be ok.

You MUST get a matching battery, but equally as important, the battery you add MUST be at the same state of charge as the other three, MUST!

Same SOC is not same voltage, the voltage of a LiFePO4 battery does not represent the SOC. To do this you will need a 12v LiFePO4 charger and you’ll need to remove the existing three batteries from the cart and connect them in parallel. You could just connect the fourth battery in parallel at this point too but if the SOC is too different, you’ll get very large currents flowing (>100A) and the BMS’s will cut off.

Once you have the three batteries connected in parallel, connect the charger and wait until the batteries are fully charged. Then do the same to the new battery. Once all 4 batteries are fully charged, connect the fourth battery to the other 3 in parallel and leave them for a few days. This will ensure identical SOC. Once they are equalised, you can put them back in the cart.

Over time you will find that your 4 batteries will become unbalanced and your run time will drop. When this happens, repeat the above procedure, except charge each battery individually as you don’t know the SOC of each individual battery, then connect in parallel and leave for a few days.

Having a single 36v or 48v battery will avoid having to equalise every so often as the single BMS will take care of that.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
SouthernFlyed
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks!!!
SouthernFlyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO