lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
mikeshotrodshop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Any tips on painting the raw plastic roof?

The reason most pain will not stick is due to improper substrate prep. When the manufacturer makes the roof, they treat the mold with a release agent that stays on the roof even if it has been in the weather and washed. There are some manufactures they make a mold release solvent that will aid in undercoat adhesion. Try your local automotive pain supplier. Good luck...

BTW - if your unable to receive any help from a local vendor, let me know and I can provide you with some online help.
mikeshotrodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic746 View Post
What should I do for my G1? The front end is plastic and the rear is fiberglass and I want to use the same color for both but cannot find any fusion paint to match it for the front end. I have already purchased the paint but it is for the rear body and has no fusion in it.
Calvin
They make primer just for plastic in spray cans or for spray guns, once it's prepped and this is sprayed on you can paint over it with most any paints. there's no need to half a$$ it and keep painting it over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
I use this on bare/raw plastic. if your spraying over paint, any clear/paint should work if you have done proper prepping. once you have a bonding agent (primer, fusion?, whatever) on the plastic, you don't need to keep using paints for plastic with a bonding agent. (i've never used fusion so i'm clueless about what can be painted over it)
I spray on a coat of the primer over plastic then paint with automotive paints and primers as if I were painting a car. talk to the guys at napa or other paint supplier about how to do this. they should be more than helpful
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #13
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Many times when forming plastic they use silicone on molds to help release. Can be cleaned with a good degreaser.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
RALVES
Not Yet Wild

I used to work in the car body industry. We did several plastic paint jobs. First you have to start by cleaning it real good. Hot water and a greese fighter soap like "dawn" this will remove all the dirt and it will remove any if still there mold release agents from the surface of the plastic. Remember if you heat the plastic up like with a DA sander this can cause that release agent to come back out. Continue to clean with a "red" scotch brite pad this will scuff the unit. I do this both wet and dry. After this is done wash it again using a paint prep suff agent, follow with a regular wash. After drying completly I wipe it down with wax/greese remover and tack it with a tack cloth. I than spray it with a plastic adhesion promoter PPG makes it or bull dog. see your local paint shop retailer. after this a GOOD primer and paint. We used PPG for everything. It isn't cheap but you get what you pay for. Flex agents can be added if needed. I have had some plastic no matter how much prep and time were taken just don't like to be painted and could still peel. 90% sucess rate is common. Hope this helps.
RALVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
txdyna65
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Professional bedliner coatings are going to be your best option that will "stick". Most any and all paint will peel off.
Do they make this in other colors besides black? Im probably looking in the wrong place, but all I seen at walmart was black. Where else can you get this and in different colors?
txdyna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdyna65 View Post
Do they make this in other colors besides black? Im probably looking in the wrong place, but all I seen at walmart was black. Where else can you get this and in different colors?
I believe most of those are paintable.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow I sure do appreciate everyone's help on this. Didn't have a clue on this until I read a post similar to it and am glad I asked. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Calvin
ic746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

I just cleaned mine up real good, used a liquid de-glosser on it, and shot it with the fusion spray paint for plastic. Only got a few scratches on it and that's from driving through really thick trees. It adheres quite well though and only cost me about 15 bucks for everything.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santacruzslick View Post
I just cleaned mine up real good, used a liquid de-glosser on it, and shot it with the fusion spray paint for plastic. Only got a few scratches on it and that's from driving through really thick trees. It adheres quite well though and only cost me about 15 bucks for everything.
how about some pics of the finished job?
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #20
scott c
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

i have seen every ones comments and now i have to add my two cents lol ,
hi i'm scott c. up in syracuse ny. well i have found if you clean the top with a wax and grease remover go over the entire top with a scotch brite pad spray it with a adheasion promoter found at your local body shop supply store ( aka BULLDOG ) then you can paint your top to match your cart or what ever color you want , i took the top and used interior vinal dye color matched my top with my seats other than the wear and tear of the cover rubbing on the sharp corners of the top from the wind blowing it around it looks great 2 years and going strong , my 97 CC is painted with extreme auto paint sunset maple illusion changes color like crazy in the sun

Last edited by scott c; 05-13-2009 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: found error
scott c is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint