lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lithium Nissan Leaf conversion x 2

Getting close to finalizing this project.
After watching sportcoupe's conversions and almost bought some of his batt. just couldn't swing it at the time. I bought a pack in dec. to convert mine and a hunting buddies cart. And have 20 left over.

My justifications for this project are as follows.
My current set is shot and never really seamed like I got what I was suppose to out of it.

Need more run time.

Huge weight savings. 8-6v Deka Gc45 at 80lbs ea = 649lbs 14 leaf's weigh in at 115 lbs, 25 amp Quick Charge obc 35lbs. Shedding 500LBS!

Using 14 leafs, 7s2p for 120ah set and I have configured it so that if something were to happen and I lose a battery, I can disconnect one wire, and depending which side move the other wire and I will still have full voltage, just be a 60 ah pack then till I got it fixed. But hoping that never happens.
I have bottom balanced them and using a JLD 404 for an ah meter and low voltage cut off.

No more filling with water and battery acid corrosion.

Here's a pic with new and old batteries together.

So I had some 3/32 alum. sheet scrap I made some pans/plates to fit in the battery trays, as I want to keep some of the mud out of there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new and old batteries 2016-03-30_13.55.26.jpg (230.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg trays 2016-03-30_13.47.48.jpg (622.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg test fit 2016-03-30_13.58.21.jpg (669.2 KB, 0 views)
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Nissan Leaf conversion x 2

jim, where did you get the info, on how to do this, and how to wire it all up?

Did you buy all the components, cells, bms, charger etc, from the same place?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
jim, where did you get the info, on how to do this, and how to wire it all up?

Did you buy all the components, cells, bms, charger etc, from the same place?
I dun a hoe lotta reading here.
I bought a complete leaf pack out of a junk car.
I bottom balanced the pack and will not be using bms.
Bought the charger from quick charge.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Since you have your pack 8 and 6 how can you get full voltage by moving one wire????
I think you are making a mistake going with no BMS.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Since you have your pack 8 and 6 how can you get full voltage by moving one wire????
I think you are making a mistake going with no BMS.
Because they are 7s and 2 parallel, physical location is irrelevant. The wire that goes from 1st 7 series to the second 7 series can be removed, depending on which side went out the other wire would or wouldn't move.

The school of thought goes just as strong or stronger for bb and no bms as it does the other way. So simple and cheap makes the decision here. I have been milking my dead FLA's for over a year now and they just ain't cutt'n it anymore.

If it was important that I got the full potential by pushing the upper charge limits and the lower discharge I probably would. But from my deductions my range will be fine and better than before, without pushing limits.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

They are normally wired in parallel pairs. You should wire them that way or you are asking for further balance issues. You would have to wire them in two parallel groups of 7 in series to do what you say. That is not a good idea.
Bottom balancing is a compromise just as top balancing is. I do not know of any reliable system using Lithium that does not include balancing and a BMS.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
They are normally wired in parallel pairs. You should wire them that way or you are asking for further balance issues. You would have to wire them in two parallel groups of 7 in series to do what you say. That is not a good idea.
Bottom balancing is a compromise just as top balancing is. I do not know of any reliable system using Lithium that does not include balancing and a BMS.
That is exactly how I said I wired them 7s 2p.
Not saying it isn't but I have not read anything about the necessity of wiring them in pairs. I don't see how it can cause more of an issue. But I can see it making it more difficult to discern if one is getting out of balance with out disconnecting it from its parallel. If I saw evidence of it being better I'd change it, as I tossed over both ways and settled on this config. for the reason previously mentioned and because the parts were already there from battery pack, it just made sense, rather than making up a bunch of new bars.

Well I appreciate all the advice I can get, that is why I frequent the forum, and I try to give it back when I can. But This System Ain't Gett'n no bms.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well seeing the batteries sitting there for a test fit, while it was not the intention, I just had to do a test run, so I threw some wires on real quick.
It spun out in reverse and I was able to do some doughnuts also. Very little voltage sag when the go pedal was nailed and quick response as well. I'm like'n it!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

As to reasoning for the 6 and 8 configuration, I was going to put the on board charger in the tray with the 6 batteries so I was trying to maximize that space to give some room.
But I have decided to put it between the seat backs, just incase the cart ever gets in deeper water than intended, I have gone thru water that came up on the brake pedal. I do not intend to submerse it but sometimes it winds up too late to change your mind.

So now I'm either going to put a 48-12v reducer there or an atv battery as I would like the possibility of using the winch, I just detest having to be concerned with another battery and charging.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Series vs Parallel arrangement is more of an issue if You were using a BMS system as 2 x 7S1P arrays would require twice as many BMS connection points to balance each battery.

You also have to be more careful about the entire array being evenly "bottom balanced" against the other one when connecting them for the first time as there could be a large transfer of energy between the arrays if there was a "cumulative" error when adding all 7 modules that were "bottom balanced" at different times.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car