lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Fuel filter not full?. Also a delay starting?

I have a clear inline fuel filter and noticed it was only half full? The cart run ok, but shouldn't it be full?

I have not been able to run it much, but when you push the gas pedal, the engine rolls half over, and after about 2 seconds it fires up. Almost acts like a weak battery, but my battery tests good....any ideas?
rb8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Fuel filter not full?. Also a delay starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb8484 View Post
I have a clear inline fuel filter and noticed it was only half full? The cart run ok, but shouldn't it be full?

I have not been able to run it much, but when you push the gas pedal, the engine rolls half over, and after about 2 seconds it fires up. Almost acts like a weak battery, but my battery tests good....any ideas?
Not uncommon to have the fuel filter half full (expecially with larger aftermarket filters), remember the fuel pumps aren't that high pressure, if they would the float and needle could never close. With a volt meter check the voltage drop at the battery (in nuetral and pressing the accelerator pedal) it shouldn't drop below 10 volts (or you'll have a hesitation trying to turn over 150 + compression), the check at the solenoid for a voltage drop. Could be a bad battery cable, a solenoid that is haveing a voltage drop and maybe the starter generator brush's being worn. Let us know what you find.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Not uncommon to have the fuel filter half full (expecially with larger aftermarket filters), remember the fuel pumps aren't that high pressure, if they would the float and needle could never close. With a volt meter check the voltage drop at the battery (in nuetral and pressing the accelerator pedal) it shouldn't drop below 10 volts (or you'll have a hesitation trying to turn over 150 + compression), the check at the solenoid for a voltage drop. Could be a bad battery cable, a solenoid that is haveing a voltage drop and maybe the starter generator brush's being worn. Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check for voltage drop tomorrow and report back!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

wife is watching one of her shows, so I thought I would go out and test it. I was at 12.5v and when I pushed the pedal, it dropped down to a little over 8v. Once the motor starts, it sits right around 9.5v running.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb8484 View Post
wife is watching one of her shows, so I thought I would go out and test it. I was at 12.5v and when I pushed the pedal, it dropped down to a little over 8v. Once the motor starts, it sits right around 9.5v running.
You eather have a bad battery or bad cable connections. When running you should have 14.5 to 15.5 volts showing the charging system is working. What show..Joyce love's "Elin"..she giggles like a school girl evertime she watch's I love her so much!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
You eather have a bad battery or bad cable connections. When running you should have 14.5 to 15.5 volts showing the charging system is working. What show..Joyce love's "Elin"..she giggles like a school girl evertime she watch's
I will put the battery on the trickle charger overnight and have the battery tested tomorrow.
I don't even know what the show is that she is watching, something on ABC family that does not interest me!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

ok, took a new battery out of one of my trucks, the "hard" start is a lot better, so I will go buy a new battery.
My meter shows 12.35v with the new battery, when I start it in neutral, it goes down to 12.05v at full throttle. Is my alternator going bad? Would it be as simple as replacing the brushes? Is it hard to do and where do I order them from? Or is something else the problem?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its not charging and may have caused the other battery to get low. The charging is the two small wires out of the gen, they go to a voltage regulator usually on the rear fender well. First check all the wires for a connection issue, check fuses/etc, still no charge then it depends on what cart you have. The old carts you can adjust the regulator the newer ones is solid state little back box and not metal can like old ones. There is also a sticky post above in this forum on charging I think. Your voltage should be higher running, it should be higher at higher rpm as well. They don't charge much at idle rpm.

The fuel filter having an air bubble in it is perfectly normal.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

ok, bought a new battery, old one was bad. I then tested the volts while it is running. At wide open throttle, I am about 11.9v, so it looks like I am not charging. There are 2 larger wires coming off of the starter, both dead until you start the cart. I am getting the same readings there as on the battery, does this mean my generator brushes are bad?
PS...I have a G2
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The large wires are for starting, its the small wires out the side not the end. There is a wire diagram posted up in the stickies. IIRC the wires come out of the gen towards the front of the cart.

Here, the green wire and its partner:
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha