lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

Default 88 Marathon Wiring Nightmare

OK, let's see if I can confuse you as much as I am at this point. I should add that I tried searching but came up short for my questions.
I've got a 88 Marathon resistor cart. None of the wiring was in it when I got it. I rebuild the cart and now I'm to the point of getting it ready to run. I used one of the stickies to help wire the cart. It said it was for my year and wired everything the way it said. There was smoke. So I guess that wasn't it. Some of the wiring on the mirco switches were all wrong. So I found another diagram and wired it that way. Now no smoke.
New solenoid clicks, 2 new mirco switch as I found the old ones bad. I've got the wiring to motor correct. I tested (jumped(according to some posts here))the motor before I started the rebuild and it did work. Wiring to FNR switch correct. It should work, but it don't.
My question is this....How can I tell which lug on the FNR switch does what?
Also, what terminal on the motor does what? I want to check voltages, but not sure what I am looking for. (I should put in here that I am running 48volts with a 48v solenoid) With the pedal off I have 51.4 volts on one side of solenoid, but 48 on the other side. With pedal on I have 51.4 across solenoid. Everything else checks out good. Only thing I can fiqure is a FNR that has seen better days or the motor gave up the ghost. But I don't know how to test it. Any ideas where to start??
sak00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon Wiring Nightmare

Wow................
Post a diagram of how your conversion is wired
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

This is the one that doesn't smoke.

I should add that I wired it as if I was standing at back of cart looking forward on diagram. Make sense?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo1.jpg (30.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by sak00; 02-08-2010 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Sak00,

When I wired mine up, I found that the motor mounts were all backwards. I was lucky that the cart was still wired up and followed what was on the cart and not the diagram I had. It is correct if you know which one is A1 etc, but the location on the diagram for me was flipped. If you are sure the wires to the motor is correct. i recently have been having problems with the key switch. I kept thinking it was the fnr, but found it to be the key switch or it not being all the way over. Let me know how it goes, if you need photo I can post.

aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

hey Sak00,

try vintagegolfcarts.com for other diagrams

http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...=100013&Page=1

I got some good info there.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

uestion is this....How can I tell which lug on the FNR switch does what? Disconnect the pos cable on the pac and use your ohm meter to trace the lug connections on the fr switch.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Maybe this will help. ??? Hope so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19841989ezgoresistorwirao2.jpg (71.4 KB, 18 views)
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
sak00
What was I thinking?

Mixed Breed

First off, Thank you everybody for you help. You guys are awesome.

I rechecked every F*****G wire on that cart. Everything was the way it should be. I had to run to town for a couple of errands and stopped by the local cart shop to get some insight as to what I was doing wrong. After alot of explaining of what I had, they suggested that I check the motor itself. S1 and S2 should have continuity(sp) Check! A1 and A2 should have continuity. Rut Row! They said that sometimes the wires will separate from the lug. Yep that was it. So I pulled the motor and tore it apart. I figured it was broke anyway so what could I screw up. Soldered the wire back on to A2 and reinstalled motor.

IT'S ALIVE! Muhahahahaha!

Although, according the wiring diagram I had it wired right, but it ran backwards in forward and vise versa. Swapped wires on FNR switch and BINGO! She is running. Next step is to install my brand new Trojans and finish the battery wiring. My new wheels and tires should be here by the weekend and she is done.
Thanks again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO