lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Cart is dead. How to test motor/ alltrax controller.

What 2 terminals on the motor should have voltage when the pedal is pressed. My cart doesn’t do anything. Pack is at 48-49v -I have not charged it since returned home, plan on charging it tonight. Low voltage cut off is set around 20v so this is not the problem. I plugged the computer into the alltrax controller (sr48500) and it is communicating fine, responding to the throttle input, and everything else seems normal- NO ERROR CODES. Battery current reads nevagtive even at 100% throttle. Cart ran fine. Took it on a camping trip and it got some mud under it. I believe the hd f-n-r contractor is shot - both coils forward and reverse. Reverse went the first day then forward the next. I want to ring it out at the contractor and see if it’s getting voltage then to the motor. Hard to tell if it’s opening and closing or not as the main contractor opens and closes each time as well and where the sw-202 is located it’s hard to get at. The one I have the contacts are exposed- I saw replacement ones online where the top of the contractor is enclosed and sealed looking. I am hoping it is just the sw-202 contractor and not a problem with the alltrax controller and or motor. Cart is a 2002 ds. Originally 36v resistor cart all electronics were removed and converted to 48v/ solid state with alltrax sr48500 controller 400a main contractor and the hd sw-202 contractor for f-n-r.

Details of components and pictures are in build thread of the cart here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149583
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Cart is dead. How to test motor/ alltrax controller.

Here is pictures from alltrax toolkit. Throttle input is working fine. Concern is current feedback. Is that done with internal current transducer and just reading that because there is truly no load to the motor due to open circuit- motor winding shorted or contractor not closing?

Old 08-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAZYMATT View Post
Here is pictures from alltrax toolkit. Throttle input is working fine. Concern is current feedback. .... or contractor not closing?
My first concern would be why is the battery voltage 47.9v?
Mine is usually sitting around 51.4v and I don't let it get below 48.5v.
A voltmeter reading of the voltage on the controller side of the solenoid will tell you if the contacts are closing.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
biphase
Gone Wild

If you step on the pedal just enough to barely click the solenoid, you should 48 volts on all four motor terminals and the M- terminal of the controller. If you do not see 48v at any point then you must have an open circuit either through the motor brushes or the F/R contactors.
biphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you move the cart 10' and that is the only use for the day, plug the charger back in. You never just let the batteries sit after use. Your batteries are at 40% charge. Charge them first them troubleshoot.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
My first concern would be why is the battery voltage 47.9v?
Mine is usually sitting around 51.4v and I don't let it get below 48.5v.
A voltmeter reading of the voltage on the controller side of the solenoid will tell you if the contacts are closing.
i understand this. i used the cart on camping trip. it quit while we were away, we just got home and it was raining when we got home and late, was frustrated and just pushed it into the garage. there is still enough voltage on the pack to turn the motor. the pack voltage is not the issue as it is well above the cut off interlocks programmed in the alltrax controller. the main contactor is opening and closing as shown on the alltrax toolkit screen. see ksi input signal when pedal is pressed it opens and closes main contactor and give 48v to the controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
If you move the cart 10' and that is the only use for the day, plug the charger back in. You never just let the batteries sit after use. Your batteries are at 40% charge. Charge them first them troubleshoot.
again for the voltage freaks.

i understand this. i used the cart on camping trip. it quit while we were away, we just got home and it was raining when we got home and late, was frustrated and just pushed it into the garage. there is still enough voltage on the pack to turn the motor. the pack voltage is not the issue as it is well above the cut off interlocks programmed in the alltrax controller.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by biphase View Post
If you step on the pedal just enough to barely click the solenoid, you should 48 volts on all four motor terminals and the M- terminal of the controller. If you do not see 48v at any point then you must have an open circuit either through the motor brushes or the F/R contactors.
this cart has the sw-202 hd f-n-r contactor

power should go batteries -> main contactor -> controller -> f-n-r contactor -> motor

where the f-n-r contactor is mounted it is really tough to get at with the body on. the terminals on the controller are even harder! id like to test right at the terminals on the motor and determine if voltage is making it that far (bad motor) if it is not i will need to take it apart further and check at the f-n-r contactor. the cart has a roof with stereo system wired in and a rear seat so it takes some time to take it all off to get the rear body off where i can access the frame rail where the sw-202 is mounted. i am thinking it is either the motor or the f-n-r contactor. that being said what 2 terminals on the motor should have voltage on it when cart is in forward and pedal is pressed. i honestly think the issue is with the f-n-r contactor as they are seperate contacts and reverse went out the first night then lost forward the second day....
Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Was able to crawl under the cart. The sw-202 contactor is functioning properly in forward- reverse is not opening and closing. I now think reverse went out then possibly the motor went out. Which wires would I check for voltage output from the alltrax controller? B+, B-, M-? Also which terminals on the motor would have voltage in forward???
Old 08-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #9
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Reverse on the contactor is shot- you can feel the coil engaging but the contacts are stuck/ shorted. I am no wondering if it got stuck closed and then put in forward and sent voltage to motor on all direction and fried it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B839C9A3-D4E2-4481-BB65-3D12B3BA3EDF.jpeg (303.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg D53B5B4D-FBB5-4C39-8C56-2C7E75A8C576.jpeg (227.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

All the control circuits seem to be operating properly. Ksi operating & signal to alltrax good, relay status indicator to alltrax good when pedal pressed and main contactor pulling in, fwd rocker switch 48 to fwd coil on sw-202, rev rocker switch 48 to rev coil on f-n-r sw-202 & rev input to alltrax. You can feel both coils on the sw-202 pull in when energized. You can see the forward contacts opening and closing when the pedal is pressed. The reverse contacts are fried and are not closing. No error messages on the alltrax toolkit. I would like to know which 2 terminals I would read voltage at the motor when it is in forward

Which terminal on the motor will be + and which will be -.

Also does the alltrax regulate the power through the negative wire? It looks like the positive just terminates at the controller then goes straight to the motor terminal “a1”
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car