lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
clinth
Not Yet Wild

Default DS won't go

Hi,

I have a A99 sn Club Car DS that won't move. My wife was driving it the other day, stopped and when she wanted to go again, it won't move. On the charger now but tried to diagnose it before charging and here is what I have found-

49.4v on the pack (batteries all about 1.5 years old)
key switch works
f/r was replaced about a year ago
getting ~49.4v on both sides of f/r when in f or r
micro switch is clicking
solenoid is clicking when key on
I noticed electrical tape holding v drive cover on so I pulled it off and one of the tabs is broken on the cover necessitating the tape. Noticed the protective cover on the wire inside the v drive was compromised tho the wire looks fine. So, will be replacing the wire and possibly the cover.
Noticed with the key on and messing with the go pedal while diagnosing, the diode (at least that is what it looks like) on the solenoid was hot to the touch. Maybe normal?

Last and maybe the most important- this has been a intermittent issue for several months. This is probably the 4th or 5th time this has happened in the past 4 or 5 months. It wouldn't work and I would go out hours or sometimes days later, whenever I had time to try and figure out the problem, and it would work again. This time it has been several days and it has not worked. Today, pulled it to the charger, checked for loose connections and the above and I am hoping the collective here can help me figure out what is wrong with it. Thank you all.

Regards,

Clint
clinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: DS won't go

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinth View Post
.... I have a A99 sn Club Car DS that won't move. .... 49.4v on the pack (batteries all about 1.5 years old)
.... while diagnosing, the diode (at least that is what it looks like) on the solenoid was hot to the touch. Maybe normal? ....
I'm sure other more knowledgeable members will post, but I think the pack voltage is low.
I think I've read after charging and sitting for 12 hrs the pack voltage should be 50.9v or so.
Maybe your charger is not working properly.
What is the pack voltage when the solenoid engages and you try to go?
The hot diode is probably a resistor, so that might be normal.
The diode would be a black cylinder with a silver band near one end.
A resistor will be rounded a little on the ends, brown and have maybe 3 colored bands on it.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If the solenoid is clicking and the cart is not moving it sounds like a bad clicking solenoid, this would explain the hot resistor. How many solenoids does the cart have? One or two?

Voltage is also low. Less than 70% charged.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
clinth
Not Yet Wild

Thanks R&T and Mooncarter.

It must be a resistor, its green with 4 color bands and it has only 1 solenoid.

Agree the voltage is low but let me clarify where I might have been confusing. She was driving the cart on less than a full charge and was quite a ways from the charger when it quit working. I was trying to diagnose the cart where it died and after not getting anywhere, pulled it to the garage so I could put it on the charger.

The cart is charging now and when complete, will test pack voltage when trying to go.

Any way to test a bad clicking solenoid?

Thanks,

Clint
Old 08-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks R&T and Mooncarter.

It must be a resistor, its green with 4 color bands and it has only 1 solenoid.

Agree the voltage is low but let me clarify where I might have been confusing. She was driving the cart on less than a full charge and was quite a ways from the charger when it quit working. I was trying to diagnose the cart where it died and after not getting anywhere, pulled it to the garage so I could put it on the charger.

The cart is charging now and when complete, will test pack voltage when trying to go.

Any way to test a bad clicking solenoid?

Thanks,

Clint
No good way to test one I know of. Test good, clicks, voltage good but will not pass enough current to run. Rare but will drive you crazy. Also, I am not saying for sure this is your problem. But, with the resistor getting hot like it is trying to draw current to run through it I would replace the solenoid and see what happens.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
clinth
Not Yet Wild

Thanks R&T. I will grab one tomorrow and update.

Regards,

Clint
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks R&T. I will grab one tomorrow and update.

Regards,

Clint
Old 08-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
clinth
Not Yet Wild

R&T- picked up a new solenoid but mine was round and they only had a square one. They said it would work. Problem I am having is the smaller posts, does the small yellow wire go on the negative side or positive? When looking at my round solenoid, I can't see where the smaller posts are labeled.

Thanks,

Clint
Old 08-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
R&T- .... Problem I am having is the smaller posts, does the small yellow wire go on the negative side or positive? When looking at my round solenoid, I can't see where the smaller posts are labeled. ....
Ummm, Mooncarter is much more the expert here.
I just started with some questions to help clarify things.
By "round solenoid" do you mean an MZJ400?
My stock solenoid was squarish with + and - stickers on it.
The MZJ400 has no polarity on the posts so it can be wired either way.
I marked mine with a Sharpee once I laid out the wiring to it.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
R&T- picked up a new solenoid but mine was round and they only had a square one. They said it would work. Problem I am having is the smaller posts, does the small yellow wire go on the negative side or positive? When looking at my round solenoid, I can't see where the smaller posts are labeled.

Thanks,

Clint
Usually it does not matter. Post some close up photos of the solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car