lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Polka Enthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha drive extremely rough ride fix?

Hello everybody. I’ve recently purchased a stock 2011 Yamaha drive gas cart that I was planning on turning into a hunting buggy. I’ve replaced the stock shock assembly with heavy duty shocks (part # 14527) and replacement factory Yamaha heavy duty rear shocks (Jw6-f2210-01). Also I added a 3 inch Rhox drop spindle lift with 23x10x14 all terrain tires. The cart now so rides so rough in the pasture that it’s virtually undriveable, even at slow speeds. Is there anyway to soften the ride with different shocks and springs so that it would be somewhat manageable, or am I out of luck? I certainly don’t expect it to ride like a Cadillac, but currently the cart is so stiff it beats you up and can’t be driven off the pavement. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Polka Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Crackback
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha drive extremely rough ride fix?

You have multiple things working against you. The 14” rims look cool but will rattle your fillings loose. The smaller rims put more cushion between your backside and the rough terrain. 10” rims would help soften the ride. Also the 3” spindle lift isn’t helping either. A long travel lift is much more expensive but will totally change the ride quality of your cart.
Crackback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
Polka Enthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Good to know. Still learning what these carts can do. On the 10 inch wheels, would you run 20 or 22 inch tires? Also, I was afraid the long travel kits would have too much lift and make the cart want to tip over in a curve. Have you ever come across that?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I'm with Crack, 10" wheels 22 or 23" tires "with about 8 psi" would be a big improvement, also heavy duty shocks are not helping.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #5
wannabass
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Greetings PE, I have a 2008 Drive converted about 5 years ago. Check this post. I did add 2" wide aluminum spacers to the rear and the stability improved. tire pressure is the next factor. To soft and it leans more, to firm and the ride gets stiffer.
Some day i will do the controller and motor but for now it is plenty fast in the woods! Tried to attach the thread I had posted.
Best of luck

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=97520
wannabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
Polka Enthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the great info. The cart also has a mad Jax rear seat installed. The reason I installed the heavy duty springs was because I thought they were recommended with the rear seat kit. Would the ride be ok if the stock springs were reinstalled?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
wannabass
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Passengers on the rear seat changes the center of gravity greatly. It would be nice to have both sets of springs to try if you had 4 people most of the time. I rarely do and the stock springs are okay. The Jake's 6" lift has a decent ride in the front, stiff rear but it is a golf cart. I am having a problem keeping the right steering ball joint tight as the geometry is a bit off when the suspension cycles.
All depends on individual loads and terrain.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #8
Brazos
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You didn’t say what tire pressure you were running but as others said run a low pressure. I just installed 6” Jake’s spindle lift kits on bot my Yamahas. I installed 22” tires with 10” rims on both. Both set of tires and rims came filled with 25-30psi. Because they still rode rough I dropped to 15psi. Still rode rough so I dropped to 12psi and they seem much better. Next I will drop them to 8-10psi. My carts are farm carts so they don’t get to run on anything smooth.
Brazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #9
wannabass
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have the 22 10 10 swamp fox and have 7 psi, minimum suggested without tire locks. I have a lot of roots, rocks and ruts but not a lot of side hills so opted for "ride quality" over stability. Took it for a spin with 5.5 psi and the 1.5 additional psi does stiffen it up a bit and it also rolls easier. Lot of experimentation to be done but hopefully this helps.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
wannabass
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

And a side note, it does not float over the rough stuff. The ride is just slightly better than the tractor!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts