lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Joepatt57
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Tomberlin Emerge code 5,4 and slow

I have a 2010 emerge 500 that's been giving me some trouble. We used it in a parade and then loaded it up on the trailer, when I got it home i heard an arcing sound above my head coming from the windshield wiper box. I put it in reverse but it wouldn't move once I pushed the pedal. I rolled it off the trailer and took it to the garage for analysis.

The controller was flashing the 5,4 code which I read was an open circuit.

I checked all the fuses (that I could find) and they were all good.

I check the batteries with a tester, granted it was for a 6 or 12 volt battery but I think they all checked out ok. They all read 8 volts and when load put on them they only went down to around 6.5 to 7ish .

I pulled the pedal box from underneath and checked the hall sensor. It check out ok as it went from 0-4 with the multi meter.

I then checked the frame for power and found that the cart had 28-30 volts running thru the frame. Not sure if this is normal for these but thought I'd post it so you all could tell me.

Upon the above finding I disconnected the wiring harness going to the windshield wiper and the radio and checked for power. It had 28-30 volts coming thru even though it was disconnected. Also I noticed that once I disconnected the wiring harness the golf cart worked. I pushed the pedal and it drove but when I took it out for the victory lap up the driveway I found that it would only go 4 mph.

I checked the electric motor and the manual stated that there should be no electrical connection from any of the prongs to the housing. I found that A1 and F1 both showed connection to the housing plus the armature had a burned up coil. Ill try to add a picture. Upon all these finding I assumed it was the electric motor. Ordered a new one and installed it and the cart only goes 4 mph. It starts out strong but has no power. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the speed sensor since a new one was already on the new motor.

I'm now at the point where I could use some other ideas from somebody who knows more than I do. Also, I've had this cart for about a year and my wife uses it for her photography business. It gets used almost everyday to some capacity. We have smelled a burning smell a couple times from underneath and so when I pulled the old electric motor off I figured that was what we were smelling but just thought Id throw that out there in case that would help in diagnosing the problem.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm just trying to be thorough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe
Joepatt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Joepatt57
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2010 Tomberlin Emerge code 5,4 and slow

Here the pics of the armature. Hopefully they work.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Joepatt57
Not Yet Wild

Update,

I checked the fuses again and found that one of the cylindrical fuses ( i think they're called ceramic fuses?) is blown.

Got me thinking maybe the motor shorted out and caused the fuse to blow. Now that I've replaced the motor I'll try replacing the blown fuse and see if that helps.

I'll update hopefully tomorrow if I can find a replacement fuse at the local auto shop.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
shawn01754
Not Yet Wild

Hope you get it going. Lots of people have ground issues. I’d check the ground if you haven’t already
shawn01754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Joepatt57
Not Yet Wild

Update 2,

Replaced the ceramic fuse in the controller cover case and now the cart runs. However, it started out great with lots of power and then began slowing down quickly. I pulled up the seat to look at the controller and now its flashing 2,1 code which is low voltage.

So I checked the batteries and they're all pretty low. I jacked up the back end and ran it and it did great. I checked the total battery voltage with a multi meter and it was running at 45-46 volts. I checked each battery individually and they ranged from 7.8 volt to 7.6. Like I said in a previous post I'm new to the carts and honestly this is the first electric vehicle I've ever owned so I'm not sure what the load voltage should be on these. If anyone has any info for me that would be greatly appreciated as I'm thinking that the batteries are probably bad.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
Joepatt57
Not Yet Wild

Update 3,

I charged the batteries for a whole day and that seems to have everything fixed now. The batteries are all weak but on a full charge they do alright so I'll be buying new batteries in the near future.

So to recap the problem, the motor was shot, blew one of the ceramic fuses in the controller case, batteries are old and on their last leg.

New motor, new fuses, fully charged batteries and now it runs like champ.

Hope this helps someone.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin