lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Kneecoal96
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 club car ds key switch

Hello! So I’m learning about golf carts still. So bare with me.
I have a 99 club car ds gas, the key switch exploded on us, if that makes sense lol. It just made a loud pop and was in pieces. Well anyways we just took the blue and yellow wires and connected it to the light switch for temporary use till I got around and bought a key switch. Well we have the key switch now, put it together and it will not move now. The wires are in the right spot. Just wondering what the problem could be or what to do next?
Thank you.
Kneecoal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 99 club car ds key switch

I'd bet you blew the 10A fuse when working on it. Just takes a little tap to the metal frame and snaps the fuse. The fuse is located in the black box next to the air filter.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Kneecoal96
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I'd bet you blew the 10A fuse when working on it. Just takes a little tap to the metal frame and snaps the fuse. The fuse is located in the black box next to the air filter.
we replaced the fuse when we replaced the switch and still nothing. I know the fuse is good because the reverse buzzer worked as soon as we replaced it. But nothing else!
Old 11-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Recheck your wiring at the key switch. 4 terminals: 2 have continuity ONLY when switched on (red 12 volt + from the fuse and the yellow & blue), the other 2 have continuity ONLY when turned off (black ground and the white with black tracer).
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Kneecoal96
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Recheck your wiring at the key switch. 4 terminals: 2 have continuity ONLY when switched on (red 12 volt + from the fuse and the yellow & blue), the other 2 have continuity ONLY when turned off (black ground and the white with black tracer).
We tripled checked. Even made sure by looking at the diagram. And it’s all in the correct places. Still no luck. The previous owners hooked up a tiny radio to it and have 2 wires split into the red one . Could that maybe be an issue as well. It won’t turn on the radio either as it did before the old key switch exploded on us.
We didn’t change anything or mess with anything. Just put the wires where they go when we got the new key switch.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

For now I would unhook the radio and take it out of the equation for the time being.

See if you are getting power to and from the key switch. Either there is a problem in the wiring or you have a bad switch.

First, see if you are getting power to the switch.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check to see if you have 12 volts + on the blue wire on the small terminal at the solenoid (with key ON). Confirm that and we can start checking the ground side of the circuit.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
Kneecoal96
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
For now I would unhook the radio and take it out of the equation for the time being.

See if you are getting power to and from the key switch. Either there is a problem in the wiring or you have a bad switch.

First, see if you are getting power to the switch.
Sooo I just tested and I’m not getting any power to my switch. So it’s something with the wire. Not sure where to go from here lol.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
Kneecoal96
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Found the issue! Thank you all!
Old 11-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneecoal96 View Post
Found the issue! Thank you all!
What was the issue? Maybe we can all learn something here.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car