lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Battery voltage vs. performance

Recently worked on a 99 Club Car FE290. It would run for a few minutes then start sputtering and missing. Battery voltage on the cables was 9 volts but on the battery itself it was 12 volts. I did find that the plus cable appeared to be grounded to the frame and there was a shiny spot there. Anyway I cleaned the cables up and charged battery and the cart starts right up and runs fine. Customer took cart home. He calls and says after about 20 minutes it still is doing the sputtering. I did load test the battery and it is borderline. My question is can the battery voltage being low cause the sputtering? It is charging at 14 volts.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Battery voltage vs. performance

The simple answer is no,
The not so simple answer is, maybe but it depends whats actually wrong.
Which cable showed 9volts and was the engine running at the time? Where was your meter black lead attached?

The ignition coil is a magneto so it does not need battery voltage to produce spark. It does that by magnetic impulse from the rotating magnet on the flywheel.
The battery voltage will not affect the spark, but if there is a poor engine ground, or a poor frame ground connection that can cause spark issues as it may prevent proper spark from occuring, though it's not very likely.

The best thing I can think of in this case is the ignition coil is failing, or there is a problem with the fuel delivery or the carb causing the fuel mixture to go lean.

You would have to check for good blue spark while the problem is happening to determine if it's ignition related.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery voltage vs. performance

I’d suspect the coil or another part that is dying when warm. A bad battery usually has starting problems and then gets better after it starts.

I did have a garden tractor battery that didn’t have enough voltage to reliably fire the ignition coil. It had enough amps to crank over the engine over but not enough voltage to produce a hot enough spark to start. I discovered the real problem after replacing the coil. So to answer your question, yes a full size car battery with a small engine may not be producing enough voltage to allow the ignition parts to fire at full power, however, it will likely show up when trying to start a cold engine.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car