lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
DieselSJ
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 valve guide issue

Had a problem with our G2 over the weekend. We heard a bang and the engine died. Pulled valve cover and found exhaust pushrod was bent and out of place. Installed new pushrod and adjusted the valves and rolled engine over by hand and when the exhaust valve tries to open I can't spin the engine past that point. Further inspection found that it appears the exhaust valve guide has moved and when the valve tries to open it is hitting the seal and top of the guide. I'm thinking the guide moved and the valve hitting the guide is what bent the pushrod and popped it out of place.

Anyone have an issue like this in the past? Pulling the head to inspect. Used a bore scope and cylinder and combustion chamber all look fine. I can push the valve down manually until it hits the guide so the valve is not stuck in the guide.

Insights? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks!
DieselSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 valve guide issue

I wonder if the balance shaft let go and is into the cam shaft ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
DieselSJ
Not Yet Wild

Don't think so. Everything feels smooth while turning the engine over and I can see the valve retainer contacting the top of the guide.

New question - where can I get a guide and a pushrod? I've only been able to find guides as part of engine rebuild kits and no one is listing pushrods.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

J38-12154 pushrod
J38-11133 guide
No guide shown for exhaust side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170320-122848.jpg (57.0 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
DieselSJ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
J38-12154 pushrod
J38-11133 guide
No guide shown for exhaust side.
Thanks.

Does that mean there isn't one or that it isn't available? I haven't seen a listing for the seal either. Safe to assume that intake and exhaust are the same?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Valve seal on the intake and not the exhaust.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

The guides are the same for intake and exhaust, good luck changing those out. Like mentioned, only the intake has a seal. Even though the seal can be put on the exhaust ,it just gets to hot and destroy's the seal. Very rarely does the guide go bad, most likely carbon build up on the valve stem or unlikely, bent valve.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Wolverine
Not Yet Wild

I am having the exact issue with my g2. I replaced the bent push rod on the exhaust valve and when I cranked the engine, i bent the new one. I then tried turning the engine by hand and notice the engine would not turn when the lifter was trying to compress the valve spring all the way down. The exhaust valve does move a little but does not travel as much as the other. Is there any remedy to this? If so, could somebody point me in the right direction.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:27 AM   #9
DieselSJ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
I am having the exact issue with my g2. I replaced the bent push rod on the exhaust valve and when I cranked the engine, i bent the new one. I then tried turning the engine by hand and notice the engine would not turn when the lifter was trying to compress the valve spring all the way down. The exhaust valve does move a little but does not travel as much as the other. Is there any remedy to this? If so, could somebody point me in the right direction.
You have the exact same issue that I have. If you look at the tops of the valve guides (look inside the valve spring) you will see one guide is much higher on the valve than the other. When the valve compresses and the retainer hits the guide is when the pushrod bends (and that is the point where you can't turn over the engine).

Next couple weeks are slammed, so this is on the back burner for a few. I'll order the guide, pushrod, head gasket, carb gasket and exhaust gasket and hope for the best.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
DieselSJ
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
The guides are the same for intake and exhaust, good luck changing those out. Like mentioned, only the intake has a seal. Even though the seal can be put on the exhaust ,it just gets to hot and destroy's the seal. Very rarely does the guide go bad, most likely carbon build up on the valve stem or unlikely, bent valve.
Great info. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha