lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
2ronto
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Series Controller - Baffled

I have been trying for two months now...hope you can help...several symptoms;

Not sure if I need it, but trying to find rebuilt or replacement used controller but cant find my Model...4 posts, 6 pin (only 4 used). Label on heatsink says P166910...wiring siagram attached...can you please help identify the model so I can find replacement?

Started with solenoid comes in but no power to motor...replaced solenoid, diode, resistor, broken MS3 in ITS box. Solenoid now comes in...but even when in neutral???

Only thing I haven't done is replace controller, but cant find anything similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring%20Diagram%20-%20Series.JPG (20.7 KB, 0 views)
2ronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Series Controller - Baffled

Welcome to BGW!

If the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pushed while F/R is in Neutral, the microswitch (MS-2) on the F/R assembly is bad, maladjusted or miswired.

Here is a schematic with solenoid activation circuit traced.

---------------

No power to motor, could be a bad controller, but it could also be a lot of other things.

Lift rear wheels off ground and put on jack-stands so the half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over someone or something.

Attach your DVM's negative test lead to the B- terminal on top of controller and Positive test lead to the M- terminal.

With Keyswitch ON, F/R in F and pedal pushed just until solenoid clicks, you should read FULL battery pack voltage. (38.2V for a fully charged 36V battery pack)

If not, move the positive test lead to test-points closer to the main positive terminal of the battery pack. The problem will be between the first test
point you have the proper voltage and the last one that didn't.

Here is a schematic with the high current circuit traced.

If you do have the voltage between B- and M-, more troubleshooting is needed and we will proceed from there.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ronto View Post
I have been trying for two months now...hope you can help...several symptoms;

Not sure if I need it, but trying to find rebuilt or replacement used controller but cant find my Model...4 posts, 6 pin (only 4 used). Label on heatsink says P166910...wiring siagram attached...can you please help identify the model so I can find replacement?

Started with solenoid comes in but no power to motor...replaced solenoid, diode, resistor, broken MS3 in ITS box. Solenoid now comes in...but even when in neutral???

Only thing I haven't done is replace controller, but cant find anything similar.
Welcome Tronto err 2ronto

Could you please do us a favor and tell us what model of cart you have? Can you find the numbers on a data plate somewhere? It would help us to know what you could and should have installed as a controller.

Also a vague picture of your controller would help us go a long way in offering advice.

That's all I got. JohnnieB is probably one of the best troubleshooters on this planet so please follow his advice. If you don't have a multimeter you can pick one up at any store for cheap. It doesn't need to be a high end meter, just one in shrink wrap would be fine.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

To find out how the cart rolled out of the factory, enter the serial number here:
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
The site also tells you where to find the serial number.

You need a Digital Multi-Meter and like Gonk said, it doesn't have to be an expensive one.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
2ronto
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB...will get on troubleshooting this weekend...my wife really misses her ride :)
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
2ronto
Not Yet Wild

Merry Xmas all...cant determine the Serial Number...this was an airline maintenance cart that has been stripped and rebuilt may times Im sure. The SN plate is missing...but I think it is a TXT. I am still working through the wiring, but the solenoid coming in whilst in neutral is first on my list. New MS installed, switched wires both ways, but still coming in in neutral. My Bro-in-law rewired the controller and not sure if it is correct. Background;

When we first died, opening the controller found a terminal end at B- and at small terminal on Solenoid. No wire was there, so he assumed it blew (no wire remnants found inside controller cover)...So we installed a wire from B- to Solenoid...excatly as your green trace. With it; Solenoid comes in nomatter the gear selection. Without it, no solenoid comes in. I'll update later today...thanks
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
2ronto
Not Yet Wild

Here is the controller as wired (correctly??)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO Cntrlr.jpg (230.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it has a plastic body. it is probably a TXT. If it has a metal body, it is probably a Medalist.
Since there is a blue wire connected to the battery side main terminal on solenoid, I'm leaning towards it being a Medalist.
Here is a schematic of a Medalist without the Reed switch in the solenoid activation circuit.

Note: It shows the wires from charge receptacle going to Solenoid a controller terminals, but they are physically attached the the main positive and negative battery pack terminals.
Remember, this is a schematic rather than a wiring diagram, so it shows electrical connections rather than the physical layout of the wires.

If the solenoid deactivates when the pedal is up or when the key is turned off when pedal is down, the problem is associated with MS-2 on F/R assembly.
Only the NC (Normally Closed) contacts are used and it doesn't matter if B+ comes in of the C (Common) or NC terminal, so I suspect the problem is mechanical.

The way it works is the switch's lever arm is pushed by the outer surface of the F/R cam, opening the NC contacts.
There are two indentations in the outer surface of the cam and when the F/R switch is in either F or R, the roller on the lever arm drops into the respective indentation, allowing the NC contacts to close.
The microswitch (MS-2) is either defective, or needs to be adjusted closer to cam so the lever arm opens the NC contacts when F/R switch is not id F or R.

---------
Post pictures of cart and we can probably ID it. EZGO didn't change from year to year, so all that is needed is the right era to get the correct parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medalist Series - No Reed Switch - Schematic.JPG (72.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
2ronto
Not Yet Wild

Thanks...finally got the solenoid to come in correctly...was infact a maladjusted actuator.

Now I am back to original issue...solenoid comes in but no current to motor as accelerator depressed. I want back to your first email and may have found something...Battery Voltage 41.2v. Across B- and M- I have 1.24v, in neutral, accelerator not depressed. When FWD selected and pedal NOT depressed 41.2v. When accel pressed, FWD. solenoid kicks in...no change...stays at full battery voltage? I think I would expect no voltage across B-/M- until solenoid comes in...or? (Pics coming...iPhone wont cooperate with PC right now)
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Can you give the manufacture code from the ID plate in the passenger side glove box?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO