lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
welderman85
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs down gas flow help

Hello all im having some issues with my 1979 ezgo. I just got and started trying to get it running the stock fuel pump is long gone and it looks like both of the mounting bolts are broken off in the motor block so i picked up a universal electric pump that said 1.5 to 4 psi i got it all hooked up but it wont run. I checked spark and its good i put in a new plug and after trying for a bit to start it i pulled the plug and it was wet with gas so its getting gas. It will run on starting fluid and if i use a gravity feed tank .thank you
welderman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: gas flow help

I wonder if the pump you're using has too much pressure blowing the gas past the needle valve in the float bowl and flooding it?

Despite many modern automobiles and golf carts both having fuel pumps, their principles Testing Golf Cart Fuel Pumps of operation are very different. Whereas automobiles typically use electric fuel pumps or fuel injection, golf carts on the other hand, primarily use vacuum based fuel pumps. Within our discussion here, we’ll discuss possible issues with golf cart fuel pumps, how to test for proper operation as well as replacement procedures.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-c...rt-fuel-pumps/
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Did you plug the third hole between the broken bolts? That's a direct leak in the crankcase.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
welderman85
Not Yet Wild

Ok heres an update on what i got done. I got ahold of the guy i bought the cart from He had found the fuel pump for it.i was able to get one of the broken bolts out of the block. I opened up the pump and cleaned it out. Everything inside looked good so i bolted it on it had a plastic space and what looked to be a gasket for under the pump. After that i ran new fuel lines. I ran it with the line to the carb off to see how much it was pumping it didnt seem like alot just kinda a steady dribble.so. hooked it all up gave it a shot it kinda trys to run but will never really run like it did when i direct feed it. How much should the pump be pushing out? Im sorry for the run on but im out of iedas
Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
tinyxxxviii
Not Yet Wild

I'm running an electric pump on mine. when I first started it up it was pumping too much gas and flooding out.. at the carburetor i installed a reducing tee. I ran a 1/8 return line back to tank. This dropped the pressure at the carb so gas would not be forced through float needle.
tinyxxxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
cardsrok
Getting Wild

I was having the same problem on my 77 marathon 3 wheeler, broken bolts and all. Mine would run with starting fluid, but no gas. I tried a Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump(probably same as what you have) and haven't had a problem since.
cardsrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #7
welderman85
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyxxxviii View Post
I'm running an electric pump on mine. when I first started it up it was pumping too much gas and flooding out.. at the carburetor i installed a reducing tee. I ran a 1/8 return line back to tank. This dropped the pressure at the carb so gas would not be forced through float needle.

How did you tie the return line back into the tank . Thank you
Old 08-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
tinyxxxviii
Not Yet Wild

I put a reducing tee close to the carb and ran a smaller line back to the tank. I drilled a small hole in the tank for a bulkhead fitting near the cap for a leak resistant installation.
tinyxxxviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO