lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
random bolts
Not Yet Wild

Default Ds self adjusting brake problems

Hey everyone,
I've got a 2001 48 volt ds clubcar with self adjusting brakes that are over tightening. The brakes will not back off they just continually get tighter every time you brake. the pedal gives resistance and then will pop you can feel it give way in the brake and also hear it. the arms that move the self adjusters hop over the star adjuster. i've cleaned and greased everything replaced the brakes drums and self adjusters. I've tried slacking the cable tension up also. I am wondering if the spring that holds the arm down is weak and allowing it to hop over the adjuster or if an adjustment is out somewhere. The cart has a lift on it but the cables have plenty of slack.
Thanks
random bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Ds self adjusting brake problems

have you checked the cables themselves ? take them off WD40 the heck out of them and work the cable so it is nice and free.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I ran into a few of these unstoppable self adjusters. I never found a fix for them. I just automatically replace them now when I see the telltale ridge on the brake drum edge. When you buy them make sure you get right and left side adjusters. Once installed your problems go away regardless of cable tension or other factors. There may be a better fix but I haven't seen it yet.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
random bolts
Not Yet Wild

i tried replacing the adjusters already with no luck. Just the star with the screw in it and not number 9 on the parts diagram. the rear bushings are also going out so that may be a factor.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I bought the complete unit when I was servicing carts. It always 'fixed' the problem for me?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
random bolts
Not Yet Wild

perfect i'll swap those out tomorrow. I'll have to remember to look for that ridge from now on. i have a set already but didn't want to throw them on and find out that wasn't the problem.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I recently pulled a cart out of the storage yard that I bought 1.5 yrs ago... knew something was wrong with the brakes but I was surprised to see one who side missing; backing plate and all.
So I purchased a new pr of the complete brakes on the backing plates.... This will be one sweet brake job. It's an 02 DS and I'm glad to have new adjusters on it... got new cables 2
Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Is it possible to put the adjuster in backwards on these carts. I saw that done on a car once and it barely made it home.
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatten View Post
Is it possible to put the adjuster in backwards on these carts. I saw that done on a car once and it barely made it home.
I don't know, I've never tried it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car