lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Charlotte515
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trailer question

Looking on craigs list for used trailers, I have a 96 CC, couple of qustions.

I have found a 5 x 8 tilt, seller said if you drive it on in reverse it will not slam down too hard. Anyone using a tilt? $400

Also found a 4 x 8 will the cart fit? Mine is in the shop and I can't measure it.
$250

Finally I will be hauling it to the beach at 65mph, what size tires are the minimum?

I would like to go ahead and buy one to avoid the delv charge back from the shop.
Charlotte515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Trailer question

Finally I will be hauling it to the beach at 65mph, what size tires are the minimum?

How far and often?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Charlotte515
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post

How far and often?
4 or 5 times a year 250 miles, actually if safe I like to cruise at 70 to 75 not
sure any trailer would be safe at those speeds
Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Trailer safety is learned, so take your time. If you have never pulled a trailer you need to go slow..... Isn't 55 the national trailer speed limit? You must stay in the slow lane or lanes on state hyways. Since you won't have any trailer brakes you must be sure your tow vehicle is rated for the both the tongue weight and the braking weight....... braking distance will be extended with the extra weight...... Use caution. One accident and the delivery fee will look like a bargain!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

IMHO I would not go smaller than 5x8. I have a tilt, yes backing it on does work, the rigitity suffers some at speed. As far as tires, golf carts are relatively light so 12-13" are ok, but bigger is better! Ideally, one with the gate/ ramp are the ticket but $400 if the the trailer is decent is a pretty good deal. I'm thinking of welding some braces on the front of mine to eliminate the tilt and adding the gate.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Charlotte515
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
IMHO I would not go smaller than 5x8. I have a tilt, yes backing it on does work, the rigitity suffers some at speed. As far as tires, golf carts are relatively light so 12-13" are ok, but bigger is better! Ideally, one with the gate/ ramp are the ticket but $400 if the the trailer is decent is a pretty good deal. I'm thinking of welding some braces on the front of mine to eliminate the tilt and adding the gate.
Yea I wouldn't want to be banging around on a 4 hour drive. Could you add some bolts to hold it for long trips?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte515 View Post
Yea I wouldn't want to be banging around on a 4 hour drive. Could you add some bolts to hold it for long trips?
I have thought about that, but bolts would only add a little rigitity to the toungue, nothing to stabilize the side-to-side sway. It might be enough if the load is well balanced.....I hauled the UMax from Dallas to Austin (200 miles) on a 5x8 tilt. Once I got the weight centered properly it was fine at 70. before that I coulnd't go 45....
Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

That speed is fine, but I would look for a little larger trailer with automotive size (14-15") tires.....I would not expect a 5X8 TILT trailer with smaller tires to handle that. On the flip side, I've hauled jet skis on 12" tire trailers across the country at 70 mph.....
Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I want you to think about that trailer and cart for what it amounts to. It is 3/4 of the back of a pick up truck, what is the smallest tire you would put on.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Every once in awhile you see people zoomin down the freeway pulling a Harbor Freight trailer with 8 inch wheels going 70mph......
You gotta wonder what's gonna happen when the tire or bearing gives it up?
My cart trailers have 15 and 16 inch rims with full size trailer rated tires on them.... You just can't have too good a trailer tire
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car