lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question Yamaha G9 Not Running Properly

I have a 1995 G9 Yamaha gas golf cart. It ran great and the next day it would barely run. I cleaned the old carb and put it back on and nothing changed. I ordered a new carb and put it on (no change). I replaced every gas line and installed a new fuel pump. I changed the fuel filter also. I drained the gas and added new gas. After none of this worked, I made a gravity fed tank (temporarily just to see the result) and attempted to run the cart with it, still no change. I checked the plug and it was a little wet and oily. I also checked the valve lash. The cart only seems to be running off of the starter now. I haven't replaced the pulse line because I can't see the end that goes into the motor but I have a little bit of a pulse when I put my finger on it. It visually looks like it is in good shape. I also checked for air leeks (gas bottle method) and there were none detected. What am I missing?
Ahale22h is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Tyler_Veasey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G9 Not Running Properly

With a new carb & fuel pump you should be able to eliminate fuel as your problem so that leaves the other 2 sides of the Combustion Triangle;
Do you have spark at the plug?
Do you have compression in the cylinder?
If no to either one of those questions, fix that problem and you should be good to go.

If yes to BOTH of those questions, check your timing. If you are still not running, do a full leak down test on your engine. Odds are you would need a rebuild or replacement engine.
Tyler_Veasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Do you have the stock airbox and is the lid sealed completely tightly? Does pulling the choke help or make any difference?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just ordered an inline spark tester and a compression tester. I will update this after they arrive in the next day or so. It does have a newer air box that's completely sealed. I'll google and see how to check the timing. I'm not familiar with that process.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Remove the fuel line from the carb and put it in a clear water bottle,
Push the pedal and see if you are getting fuel out of the hose, it is ok if it pulses out instead of steady stream, that's how the fuel pump works. let us know.
And don't worry about the timing.
Also, try spraying a little shot of starting fluid into the carb, if you have spark it should hit.

Put a new NGK plug in it, even if it fires, sometimes they won't fire under compression.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I already did this and I got a pretty low level pulse of fuel so I ruled it out. I will definitely try the NGK plug. I also already tried spraying starter fluid into the carb and it didn't hit.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #7
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The new plug will be here in a day or two. I found an old standard plug and changed it out, It finally ran but now the RPM's are cycling up and down when I hold the accelerator all of the down and that's only if I pull the choke out all the way.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Don’t bother with an inline spark tester. They only tell you *if* there is spark. That doesn’t mean it’s a good spark. You’re better off holding the plug against the valve cover bolt and looking at the color. If it’s fat and blue you should be okay. If it’s white or yellow then it’s probably too weak under compression to run.

I also like to take a timing light to it after that and run the motor. There’s no timing marks to reference so not looking at that, just make sure it’s flashing consistently. I’ve had bad ignitors that will spark for 30 seconds to a minute, then get erratic, then quit. But if you waited the time it took to pull the plug and check for spark, it was fine again.

Timing is not adjustable. If it ran before then your timing is fine. The only way the timing gets off is if you take the motor apart and don’t align the crankshaft to the camshaft correctly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:09 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Ok, at least it runs now with a plug, I'm thinking you get the new plug in it and get your carb back in adjustment you should be fine,
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #10
Ahale22h
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm a lot closer. New plug was installed and it runs decent with the choke all of the way open for about a minute and then it bogs down again. At 1/4 throttle it tries to rev up but the throttle cable toggles back and forth causing it to lose power. I just got a new valve cover gasket in so I will install that tomorrow (I work tonight). I checked the compression and it was a solid 160 psi. Is there any chance the governor could cause this type of problem?

Tags
carb, gas, motor, pulse, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha