lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Buggy707
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for a plasma cutter

Anyone have a plasma cutter here? I love to tinker around with stuff, some times weld up something for the house, etc. I am looking into getting a plasma cutter that will work well in my work shop and be mobile capable. I don't need anything industrial, as like i said, I'm just a hobbiest and want something that I can mess around with and work with in my home shop. I have checked out a couple of local shops and decided to go online for better pricing.
Buggy707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
chess0408
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Looking for a plasma cutter

i do let me know what you are looking for
chess0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Try to stick with a big-name,like Thermal-Dynamics,Miller,Esab,etc...If you normally do light-guage work (1/8" or less),then buy a machine that has 1/4"-3/8" capacity. It will cut easier,faster,and last longer.Cheap machines are usually just that,and consumables(tips/nozzles),can be hard to find.I have owned Snap-On welders and plasma machines since the mid90s,they are excellent machines(overpriced,but credit is easier to do than a large chunk of cash).I traded in my 1/4" machine for their new 1/2" compact,Inverter-based machine and was absolutely disappointed with it.My dealer saw the issues,and we traded up to their 3/4" Transformer-based machine,its an animal!!!Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yep, stick with a big name brand. Thermal-Dynamics, Hypertherm, and ESAB all have good reputations. I like TD myself. The Miller and Lincolns tend to be one of the big three just rebadged and marked up. The ones with a built in air compressor are handy but weak. The incoming power has to be split between cutting and the compressor so it is a compromise. A new brand name 40 amp unit can be had for around $1,000.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
buggy123
Not Yet Wild

Great to have some feedback on the companies and your guys choice on the machine you went with. You know, I've been doing alot of research on different companies and I came across Longevity. I called them up and their customer service was awesome and I was able to get alot of info from them and also from the longevity forum at www.freeweldingforum.com.
I checked out Thermal-Dynamics,Lincoln, Miller,etc. Very Good looking machines, but not so much in my price range. I was looking into Longevity's Forcecut 40D
http://www.longevity-inc.com/plasma-cutter/forcecut-40d with a 5 year warranty and the machine is 110/220v and very portable.

Cant beat that, I went ahead and purchased their plasma cutter. Ill post some pics of the machines progress when I get a chance.
buggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I knew I forgot one,HyperTherm actually makes most of the Consumables for the other brands.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I purchased a Longevity 42i about 6 months ago. I've used it a bit and love it. They have a good warranty from everything I've heard and read and the one I got will cut up to 1" and I've cut 3/4" already and even without my having any experience was able to make a pretty good cut. Mine is also small in size due to being a IGBT Inverter Based Plasma cutter and weighing in at only a bit over 33lbs. I did pay a bit more for mine but it's everything I was looking for.

You'll be happy with the one you got I'm sure. Good luck with the new plasma cutter once you get it. One thing I noticed about your post though. You stated that you have a 5 year warranty, but with that particular machine they have changed the warranty to a 1 year. Still a good warranty for a machine that will do what that one will and at the low price you paid.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Another thing I wanted to mention about the Longevity (Maybe available with other machines) is the blowback start. No need to drag the tip to start the arc.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Shack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a Hobart. Dual voltage but I use it on 115v. Bulletproof for over 2 years, and I've burned alot of steel and aluminum up with that bad boy!
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
hugger6933
Getting Wild

I have an avortec. It is a plasma cutter and can be converted to weld tig and stick but I just use it as a cutter since I am super happy with my YA240A SnapOn welder. Even though I bought that welder in 1987 or 88 it still runs like a champ and welds a good bit of stuff in my body shop. Now this plasma cutter will cut like 9 feet of sheet metal a min. It will just about cut is as fast as you pull the torch once you get it all set. I bought this machine on E-bay and it was like $850 or so. It will cut thicker stuff than the ad says it will a lot thicker. He said he does that so not to disappoint anyone that has difficulty setting the machine. I have had two big Snapon cutters the first was ok but it was stolen when I was broken into and the replacement for it never was much cutter. It also came with a variable shade helmet that I still use every time I weld or cut anything. Also you may want to look at USA WELD.com they have some great stuff as well. now I have no stake in either one of those places just companies that I have found to be a square deal type place to deal with, Nice people that are from the USA. oh and little background on me I own a body shop and rebuild wrecks[late model chevy trucks and SUV's] and restore old muscle and trucks for fun as well as golf with the wife[if I ever get my carts going again]. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center